Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still on the search for what my second dog will be. It'll be about 6mo+ before I get one so you many see multiple other threads from me about specific breeds and what not, please don't hesitate to answer another thread if you have questions.

So while looking at dogs, I came across the Catahoula Leopard Dog and I absolutely love it's coat. So I started looking into the breed and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they'll fit my lifestyle. They apparently aren't good with other dogs, require vigorous exercise and a large fenced in yard. Well I don't have a large yard or a fenced in yard. I can only over 1-2 hours of exercise perday, jogging, biking, hiking, swiming. And as mentioned I have another dog. It has also been recommended that they have a experienced owner, which I am not.

So I don't think they'll work. So what is another dog with a similar coat that could be compared to say a labrador retriever, which is what I have now and everything seems to be going well with her. Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I wasn't a truly inexperienced owner starting out and my Catahoula has still forced me to learn some things, so kudos to you for knowing when to say "no."

Anyway, sort of depends on what you mean by "similar coat." Colors? Length?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By coat I mean looks/color. I absolutely love how it has so many different colors and shade all thrown together with no pattern. As I read, it looks like a Jackson pollock painting

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always been under the impression that with mixes you never really know which traits will be dominant as far as personality goes

·
Registered
579 Posts
Catahoula's are fantastic but they are a lot of dog! they are super smart and need that brain to be directed towards something.

I have fostered a few deaf ones in the past - always a wild ride with those guys!

They can have issues with other dogs but not all of them do. They are however very destructive if not given enough mental and physical exercise.

I agree though they are super gorgeous!

·
Registered
519 Posts
If a person thinks a Catahoula might be too much they're probably right, and even a mix might be too much.

But I'd still recommend checking out Catahoula rescues because a lot of the dogs in them are 0% Catahoula, just similarly colored. :D Look for fostered dogs so that you can get information on their temperaments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.