Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so now that clover is capable of spending short spans of time apart from me, i'd like resume the clicker training with my cat. any recommendations for treats? we usually just use dry food, but it takes soo long for them to chew it up...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I've never had a cat-so slap me for chiming in ;) But cats love meat-why not see if she likes some tuna and then you can just give her little peices, or salmon or chicken...then it's healthy too :)

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we just did a practice run with some dry stuff. fawkes does ok w it....i think next time i make chicken for clover i'll try that...tuna would be ok but then i'd smell like it....lol, i never cared about the fishy reek when i trained the sea lions @ the zoo, but i guess house cats aren't as glorious (should be, they're harder to train lol) anyhow, we just practiced "sit" and picked up on learning "high 5" i think i'm just impatient....
cool thing...clover didn't butt in, not even once! good boy...
oh, thanks for the chime in...i'm not gonna slap you tho, maybe next time....:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
If you get good at cat training, you need to come train my brothers cat to 'not be a total jerk' and 'stop attacking people' :p That'd be nice LOL

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
even my dog cant roll over fully.. she only knows roll over means lie down and show her belly...

If I had a cat I'd want to train it to do tricks :)

~MSE

·
Registered
618 Posts
Interesting! I think Trouble might be able to do some of those.

Little Bit likes to play "There 'im goes". ROFL This consists of him coming to me, beating me on the leg with his tail OR if I'm sitting down, he pats me on the leg. Then I take hold of his tail (not pull, just hold) and he does a somersault. Well, he did a somersault until he got to be 13 lbs. Now he tends to do a lazy boy and just flops over on his side and then his back. When he gets to his back, I'm supposed to rub his belly and tell him he's a Silly Kittums.

Little Bit made up this game when he was a few months old and he still loves it. We have to play every day.

Now Trouble watched all this going on for awhile. Never an attempt was made to get him to do it. This was all LB's game.

One day, Trouble came over and beat me on the leg. I automatically took hold of his tail (am I well trained or what?) and he rolled over. THEN I realized it was not Little Bit! LOL

So Trouble taught himself to play by watching Little Bit.

He might be a candidate for training. He's pretty smart. I think he got Little Bit's smarts too. :)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Thats richard norton!! (the lightswitch vid) if you have time watch ALL his videos...this guys cats are amazing...he built them a CAT WHEEL...like a giant hamster wheel that spits treats at the cats....

I use lunchmeat to train the cats...and tuna som'times.

also I don't know about your cats..but mine will work for pets and praise...Mr. Biscuit wont work for food so I started training him with attention. Its slower, but it still worked.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
wow, if I had food thrown at me I'd be in heaven and I am not a cat :D

deli meats sound like a good idea, sound like they can be slurped up. Or small amounts of wet cat food? I think the wet cat food might work best with a target stick tho.

~MSE

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
LOL Now I need your 'cat expertise'! heheheh

How do I teach feral kitties to stop mauling my hands?

J/k they aren't bad...ok they do think they are tigers. And my hand is all scratched up....ouch.

I am handling them every hour, just cuddling and holding. Once I pick them up they are ok. What do you think?

Don't mean to hijack your thread!!!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Hahahah OK should be easy-they seriously don't retract their claws. Little boogers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.