Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Milly. She is two years old, and unfortunately, on the verge of being overweight! I've been researching different veggies I can give to my dog, and carrots are a big plus. They are great with vitamins, although I'm not exactly sure how much is too much. I've been thinking that I should replace 1/4 cup of her food with chopped carrots, three times a week. Is that a healthy option? Or should I just keep the carrots as treats?
PS- She eats 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night. Totaling 1 cup of food a day.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am no food expert so don't quote me on this. This is more of an opinion..

Dogs respond to food unbalances really quick. The food you feed her is probably a naturally balanced diet that has been proven for dogs. By switching it out a couple times a week with carrots you may be off setting that healthy balance. Though I am sure they would be fine for treats. Maybe ask your vet, who may have some insight on if this would be a beneficial change for your dog or not, because really if it does no harm it probably is doing your dog good.

All the best wishes with Milly!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Carrots and string beans are a good low calorie foods. Its important to get the weight off. You cannot over dose on carrots. Replacing part of her food with veggies will not harm her. I would use them as treats also. Most dog treats are very high calorie.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
How much should she weigh?

When I had my 24 lb dog I fed him a little less then 1 cup a food per day. My new boy is 11 lbs and he gets 1/2 cup food a day and is on the chubby side since he's low energy and I don't dare feed him any less then that I have to up the exercise.

Carrots are fine to feed every day, dogs do not digest them unless they are well cooked so if you are not cooking them they are just a filler and come out just about the same way they went in. I occasionally feed my boy raw carrot sticks as a no calories chew, the draw back is that it has little nutritional value since it's not cooked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is 27 pounds. So if I cook the carrots, will that bring out all the nutrients? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing! Thank you for everyone's support and kindness. More suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
She is 27 pounds. So if I cook the carrots, will that bring out all the nutrients? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing! Thank you for everyone's support and kindness. More suggestions appreciated!
I grate them and steam them to add to the food but feed the large horse carrots as treats. They are like a bone for my dogs. If you give them raw you want to do it out side or they are a real mess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've also heard from a animal clairvoyant that cooked carrots are great for dogs. But they only get nutrition out of it if cooked.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use cooked cut green beans. I cut back the food just a little and added some green beans each meal. It has made a difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our vet has told us that both raw carrots and raw green beans are great for snacks. We've used these for years with our goldens.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I grate them and steam them to add to the food but feed the large horse carrots as treats. They are like a bone for my dogs. If you give them raw you want to do it out side or they are a real mess.
I recently got some of the horse carrots to see if Sawyer would like them, didn't last more then 5-10 minutes :eyeroll:. Deffinitly agree, good healthy snack

·
Registered
298 Posts
Green beans, carrots, slices of apples & pears were the veggies/fruits of choice for my parents' English cocker after she developed pancreatitis and afterward had to be on a low-fat diet. I've only had a couple of dogs who would eat veggies, and green beans were their favorite. Mom's Rottie loved carrots. Avoid grapes/raisins, onions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts