Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi any advice or reassurance would be great.

I'm an australian living in Cambodia, and a year ago me and my partner rescued a puppy from a dog farm (yes for food, im not being racist or trying to make any judgement calls regarding what different cultures eat, i mention it as to give insight to the role of pets in the country).

long story short how bad is it not to walk your dog, and can a vaccinated dog play with non vaccinated dogs with out danger?

i feel that my dog is well adjusted and is very social with humans.

My two main issues are that my neighborhood is full of semi wild dogs as de-sexing dogs here is uncommon. this makes walking my dog difficult as we will often get rush by packs of dogs.

is not walking a dog neglectful?

i try to keep him well exercised with games in the yard, but walking on a lead can be quite terrifying.

Also the few pet dogs in the neighborhood who are friendly are of questionable heath and have not been vaccinated or wormed.

thanks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I know of a few people on here who don't take their dogs for walks and instead use the backyard or go hiking when possible. As long as your dog is getting the exercise he needs, you could skip the walks altogether. It's more interesting for the dog and a good bonding experience, but if the danger is just too great, skipping out on walks in favor of fetch, tug, scent games, etc isn't going to do any harm. :)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I agree that exercising and playing in a safe area, such as your yard, is better than walking where you will be charged by stray/wild dogs. You can enrich a dog's life by teaching it tricks and providing other activities for mental stimulation. Tossing their food in the yard so they have to seek it out is a good activity. Make sure the dog finds everything you toss so you don't attract animals to your yard that you don't want.

I would be careful about having your dog interact with dogs that could possible carry worms or other internal parasites. Many of these are hard to eradicate once they are in the soil. Vaccinations should protect your dog from communicable diseases.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
If you want other indoor/mental activities for in your yard, there's plenty of threads to look at for ideas. It's more responsible to be safe than to walk your dog-they can get exercise and mental work instead through other methods.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I virtually never walk my australian shepherds. In the grand scheme of things, plodding along with obese me, even for an hour or two, wouldn't put a dent in their energy levels and it would take up a significant part of our day without being especially beneficial. Instead, we play frisbee, we play extremely active tug, we wrestle, we play fetch-over-hurdles down the hallways. They're active and get more exercise than most dogs I know; we just don't go on leashed walks. So the absence of a leashed walk, as far as I'm concerned, has nothing to do with how much exercise a dog is getting.

You have a perfectly valid reason for not wanting to walk your dog, and if you're meeting his needs for exercise without it, there's no reason to add walks in if they're a risk to his health.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts