Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walter (8 week old goldendoodle) was doing really great with his crate the first 5 days we had him, but is not whining/barking/scratching at his crate to get out. I'm having a really hard time knowing if he just WANTS to come out, or actually has to go to the bathroom. If I let him out when he whines and then doesn't go, I feel I'm reinforcing his whining, but if leave him in there and he DOES need to go, I'm worried he'll have an accident. What should I do??

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Levi was a crier as well. Whenever he cried, I would pop on a leash (a short one) and right outside. I would go out and wait 5-10 minutes and then back inside to the crate. He learned pretty quickly that crying did not get him attention/play time.
Is the crying/whining during the night or during the daytime?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's both at this point -- usually in the night he actually does have to go. The thing is, we'll take him out, he'll go and then have to go right away again after going back in crate...

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's both at this point -- usually in the night he actually does have to go. The thing is, we'll take him out, he'll go and then have to go right away again after going back in crate...

Give him a bit more time outside, even if he goes right away. Note the time on your watch or phone when you take him out. Give him at least 5 mins. (will seem long when you're just standing there so make sure to check the time) Don't play or walk him. Just take him out to his spot, let him sniff a bit and explore to the end of his leash. He'll probably end up taking an extra pee or two. He just doesn't know how much pee he's got in his bladder yet, giving him a bit more time will let him get his bladder empty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I will try to stay out there with him longer. It's a little tricky because even on leash (even right by me) he finds things to eat (dirt, grass, leaves) so I wind up having to interact with him to get those out of his mouth!

Patience..... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts