Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Our Jack Russell of 15 weeks can't be housenbroken. My sister has a dog out of the same nest and hers is already housebroken. Now I'm a student, and my mom is partially disabled. My mom is very stressed (she was already crying over it today) that he just pees everywhere. This morning he peed at 3 places, while running around.

I know, it may not have been a wise decision to get a puppy. But what is your advice to us? My mom can't handle it anymore, and I can barely combine it with my study.

~ Jelle

·
Registered
495 Posts
A few thoughts: Fifteen weeks is still really, really young. That puppy is basically a very young toddler yet. While they can be reliable at that age, it's much more common for them to still be learning. And, you can't compare your pup to his sibling. His circumstances are very different.

If the two of you are unable to dedicate lots of time, then yes, getting a puppy may have been a poor choice. However, he's still very young and you have lots of time to keep working on housetraining. It's a long time before you can consider him housebroken, even if he was being reliable.

Please read this: Errorless Housetraining | Dog Star Daily

In short, housetraining is about being ridiculously consistent. At this age, take the puppy out ever half an hour, and praise hugely when he goes! Keep him in an exercise pen or tethered to whoever is watching him so that you can keep a close eye on him. If you can't be there to keep a super close eye, use a crate. Obviously, do not keep him in there constantly, but small amounts of time will help to keep him to a schedule when you can't be right overhead watching for the tell-tale signs of pee or poop.

Your pup is only 15 weeks old. He needs lots of consistency and lots of time yet. He also need to be kept in a small area so that your mom can easily spot when he needs to go out--and take him out regularly, on a very short schedule.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
If you two are unable to care for your dog, then rehome him now while he's young and cute. Nobody will mind a 15 week old dog that's not housetrained, that's normal, but it's going to be very hard to rehome a 1 year old that isn't housetrained.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Have to second what Amaryllis said. Raising a puppy requires a lot of time/effort and consistency. If you are not able to do it because of school and your mom can't due to her disability, then you will end up with a dog who'll never be properly housebroken, and will likely behave in ways that you find unacceptable.

Have you asked your sister how she trained her dog?

·
Registered
989 Posts
15 week is what, not even 4 months? That's extremely young, and you can't expect a 3 and a half month puppy to be housebroken. Even a 4 month old - Cosmo is 9 months and had an accident just the other day. Granted it was his first in a couple months and we were in a different house with no dog door, but he still didn't alert me and peed by the door.

My point is a four month old puppy is still a toddler for comparison - still in diaper stage. It sounds like his potty breaks need to be broken down into intervals of 2-3 hours, and when you can't supervise him crate him with some fun toys or a puppy safe chewie. Don't set him up for failure and take off for school with him wandering about the house. If you crate train, he physically can not pee on the carpet and it will save your mother a lot of grief. If she is able to take him out every couple hours during this time with play breaks that is great and may work well, but if she can't and neither can you then I agree with Amaryllis. It sounds like you weren't ready for a puppy and that's okay people make mistakes. But it would be wise that if you truly think you are unable to handle him, rehome while someone will want him. Sounds harsh but it will be much harder to rehome a year old untrained dog than a puppy who is excusably untrained.

·
Banned
418 Posts
It will take a while my dog is 4 months old she is getting better but still has accident's once in a while. You can do it and still study for school (if it's college) I am in college taking 5 classes and My dog is starting to make progress. or invest in a crate you can crate the puppy when you are not able to watch him

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Ive had 2 pups now and the toilet training them is the hardest thing ever to do if you ask me. Charlie my chocolate lab was easy to train that way but my Jessie shih tzu x argh! she was difficult to house train i had to get lots of help and advice from members on here and not only on the toilet training trust me on that.

15 weeks is very very young. Jessie i got at 9 weeks 9 days old she couldnt hold her bladder overnight for a good few weeks she was 12-14 weeks old when she could but i had to let her out super quick in the morning and forget my desperation to pee and think about hers. She was stilll pooping inside the house at 6 months old where parents and i found piles of poo on a dark colored rug under avon desk :O which is when i asked for help to house train her it meant long leash and freezing my ass off in the cold winter rain taking her right back to basics.

Your pup will need to go out every 20 mins after a play or every 20-60 mins this depends on if eaten and drank. If eaten and drank water needs to go out esp after food in 5 mins for wee and poo. Otherwise its hourly, after play they need a pee as well.

Have you got a crate with a divider? if not please get one or a x pen crates are great to get them to nap in especially great for when you go out and you are training them to hold tier bladder( after previously letting pup out for toilet)

It could help to get a long lead clip it onto the collar and when you see sniffing, circling or any pulling quickly get him or her out and say outside wee wee lets go outside. Theres also house-training stickies to help you out will find it for you. It isnt easy but pays off.

if you have open plan house you need to shut the door to a toilet/laundry until the pup goes to that door and starts to indicate by barking/jumping that he needs to go out. If not open plan then good idea to close most doors and really keep eye on pup if cant crate the pup or use x pen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.