Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 week Fox terrier (Highly hiperactive by the way), and a week ago my sister brought a 8 week Pinscher. As the Pinscher is way too small to play with the Fox terrier, he stays inside the house will the fox terrier stays in the backyard (quite big for him). Yesterday i decided they could meet. At first they were OK but after a while the terrier want to play more roughly and started licking and bitting the smaller one, apparently the smaller one didnt like that and got incredibly mad and started barking and "trying to bite" the bigger one, but the other one considers its just a game and continues to play and its like i got a MAAAAAAAD pinscher and a WAY HIPERACTIVE fox terrier whom no matter what i do still tries to bother the small dog.
What should i do?? I dont want the pinscher to become one of those anoying little dogs who try to bite a bark other dogs but my fox terries behavior isnt helping at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They are extremely young puppies. You have to teach them how to behave. What is the size difference? I would supervise them closely and reward the bigger pup for gentle playing and calm behavior. Reward smaller pup for good behavior as well. Never physically punish the dogs, as it may make them more dog aggressive.

·
Registered
669 Posts
At 12 and 8 weeks old these puppies are not dog aggressive. Dogs this young are still figuring out what is OK to do with other dogs. This is further complicated by the fact that what is OK for some dogs is not OK with others- some dogs play rough or are more tolerant of being pestered to play rougher than they want.

Young puppies play rough, especially rough and tumble breeds like terriers. How familiar are you with puppy play behavior? A lot of people see two puppies playing in a totally normal way (body slamming, play growls, barking, grabbing ears and jowls, etc) and freak out. I've found this is especially true of owners of young, small breed puppies and first time dog owners. Puppy play can seem like it's dangerous and sound scary, but usually it's OK.

Here's a good link that shows two different styles of totally normal play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bk2n0oWQYw

I would highly recommend trying to find a puppy socialization class (some places will call them puppy parties or just puppy classes) somewhere near you. This is a very important age to socialize- it's when puppies are best able to learn what is OK and what is too rough. This will also help you see what is normal puppy behavior. Not properly socializing dogs this age is how you end up with snappy adult dogs (and IMO fox terriers and min pins are both breeds that can sway towards aggression in later years from lack of socialization as puppies).

My own personal approach to play at this age is generally "no blood, no fowl". With dogs of these breeds I can't imagine there's a huge size difference. Watch play closely and if one gets too rough try to distract it from the other and if that doesn't work remove it to calm it down. They will tell each other when they're no longer having fun, and IMO it's an important skill for them to develop. Having a well socialized adult dog that is tolerant of puppies play with them together would also be a good step in teaching proper etiquette.

Also I really hope you don't mean the 12 week old is living outside. IMO there are very few dog breeds that can thrive living outside- namely Livestock Guardian Breeds form working pedigrees- and great care is taken during the puppyhoods of these dogs when they do live outside. I would personally not leave a 12 week old puppy unattended in a yard for any length of time because 1) there's no telling what they can get into, 2) they could get out, and 3) a small breed puppy at that age is often small enough to be bothered by birds of prey.

If these two dogs are growing up in the same house I'd also strongly recommend you do some research into the troubles of raising 2 puppies together. I'm honestly not real familiar with the issues that come with it but I do know it is something that can cause issues. With puppies this close in age "littermate syndrome" may be an issue as well despite them not being siblings.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Miniature pinscher or german? Either way, no matter.

Your sister needs to research pinschers, this breed has many universal truths and they are not for everyone. If he's not on your lap looking for attention, then he's under a blanket somewhere sound asleep. They don't have the "little dog syndrome" as many think, they are truly fearless and tenacious when raised properly - great mousers too. Ours doesn't look for rescue, and he's defended himself against 120 pound mastiff's that got aggressive with him. Catch me if you can, avoid the pins teeth if you can, and that's probably what you're seeing as a reaction to your fox terrier.

Pins need to be socialized early with adults, kids, other dogs and even cats or you can have issues, dog parks are great. Our pin will quickly pick up on the gf's fears, and reacts accordingly in a defensive manner. She has learned to remain calm during our walks with him in the off leash areas - especially when other dogs get aggressive with him, he will take care of himself - but I wouldn't let him be in a situation where he will be harmed. He is not aggressive toward dogs, but can read them very well and will defend himself accordingly.

These dogs need lots of love and affection, lots of exercise - and most of all, respect. You need to respect that it's a dog, let him/her be a dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts