Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old beagle that was in a shelter obviously so at least a little bit of his life he was on concrete in the building and had to pee and poop there. Ever since we brought him home 2 1/2 years ago though, I can't get him to stop peeing and pooping on my driveway and it pisses me off. It smells rank out there in the summer where he does that so I've tried leashing him up and manually walking him over to the strip of grass thats next to the driveway. He will pee and poop there if I sit there and make him do that, but if I hook him up to the leash I have attached to my door and let him roam around he will crap on my driveway every time.

I don't know how to get him to change this behavior because I've taken him out a bunch of times now and when he pees and poops in the grass I'll give him a treat and praise him but it's like all of that is lost as soon as I don't leash him manually.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Unfortunately I dont have a door to access my backyard so I have to use the sidedoor which leads to the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
3,278 Posts
Is your reward for toileting on grass immediate, so he knows it's for toileting and not for anything else, and generous to make it really really worthwhile for him to hold until he reaches the grass?

Also, you could just take him to the grass on a leash every time, or practise good hygiene by lifting poo and hosing your concrete.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I give him a treat right after goes in the grass each time. It's not about him holding it until he reaches the grass, he could go in there at any time when we put him on the longer leash. I want him to be able to move around and explore but for some reason he just doesn't get that he shouldn't be defecating on my driveway but on the grass. He will literally poop 5 inches away from the grass on the concrete, all he has to do is move over one foot and it wouldn't be a problem so I don't get it.

·
Super Moderator
3,278 Posts
I'd make it really clear that grass = sausages raining from the sky, concrete = nothing.

Or, like I said, don't give him the chance by just keeping him on leash.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I dont think you will like my answer but here goes.

If he will toilet on the grass when you put his leash on and take him out for a walk then thats what you must do.

If you dont want him to use the driveway dont give him that choice, walk him take him on the grass and praise and treat like mad when he goes on grass.
Beagles are 100% food motivated so training really is that easy.. You offer food in return for something and they will jump through hoops if thats what you want.
But you have to be clear you have to be consistant and you have to be dedicated.

Beagles are also incredibly stubborn and if has decided that the only way to get you to do something , give him attention , take him out whatever, is to crap on your drive then he will do that..
I know a man who's beagle got jealous whenever he bought women home and if the dog saw the guy get out of the car with a woman he would run upstairs and pee on the bed..

He knew what he had to do to get a result ie send the woman packing.. Your dog is getting a result by crapping on your drive. You need to look at what it is and solve it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts