Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas anyone. I have a 3 year old, high energy, healthy German Shepard. Three weeks ago she started to limp on her left back leg (quite significantly). Oddly enough there was no reproducible pain/soreness to palpation, passive movement of the leg and she seemed quite unconcerned when you would move/touch/check out her left leg. Her leg was also checked by 2 vets, X-rays - all negative and nothing wrong. About 2 days after this limping started she stopped eating or drinking and she is very lethargic. She has lost about 10 lbs (she is a slender dog at best). All blood tests so far are negative (2 sets of tests) and 3 vets essentially can't find anything wrong. She has also had chest, lung X-rays....nothing. We are having an abdominal ultrasound today. Her food/drink intake is very limited and we give her whatever we can get her to swallow (we have tried just about everything....any suggestion from anyone we have tried). I syringe water/pedialtie into her mouth, she will still drink ensure and eat pumpkin & a little cottage cheese. She will only let me hand feed her and it takes a while. She also has a light, infrequent dry cough. Sleeps all day. She strains to poo every time I take her out, and she has small, perfectly formed/consistency poops, but is not always able to poop (she used to poo about 5-6 times a day). I have even checked her poop for any visible anything in it....nothing. She is urinating ok. She is no longer limping. No temperature, never had diarrhea. If the abdominal ultrasound is negative then we progress to further testing (tick related diseases, biopsies etc).
She did have a ?seizure approx 2 months ago, but no further signs after that & I think it was a "one off" and she is neurotically normal.

Its getting to the stage that I think she is dying. Its just devastating.
Anyone with anything similar.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So very sorry to hear this, and I sympathize with you.
I don't know what is wrong but can only make a couple of suggestions for things to test for if the vet has not already done so.
A complete CBC including tox scan
Test for Lyme disease
Test for Valley Fever (which is mostly only in one area of the country but is transmittable between dogs)
Test of ehrlichiosis or tick fever (again, this is transmittable through ticks from another dog)

I hope others here will have more suggestions and I wish you the best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So very sorry to hear this, and I sympathize with you.
I don't know what is wrong but can only make a couple of suggestions for things to test for if the vet has not already done so.
A complete CBC including tox scan
Test for Lyme disease
Test for Valley Fever (which is mostly only in one area of the country but is transmittable between dogs)
Test of ehrlichiosis or tick fever (again, this is transmittable through ticks from another dog)

I hope others here will have more suggestions and I wish you the best.
Thank you very much. Will do what you have suggested

1 - 3 of 3 Posts