Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Bella has been on Evo by Innova for a little while now, but money these days are very strapped and I just can't afford it anymore.
What are some alternatives that won't leave me penniless? I'll check out my local pet store to see if they have anything else but if it comes down to it, whats the "best" of the grocery stores?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I have switched my dogs over to kirklands dog food, we were feeding a 4 star quality and one was on a 2 star, kirklands is a 3 star and everybody's system handles it perfectly and its under a buck per lb. Times are sooooo touch right now so I feel ya!

Oh and Kirklands is bought at costco

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I've seen the ingredient label on kirklands before, and it's actually not bad!
You may also consider a nutro product, the Natural Choice is a good dog food as well as Nutro Max, which is a little cheaper for close to the same thing. I feed Nature's Recipe and I REALLY like how it does for each of my dogs, I used to feed AvoDerm which was pretty good as well.
Just make sure to read the ingredient label :)
First should be a protein, preferably a meat (it may be a meat meal which is fine), second a carb like rice, and third a fat source. Steer clear of corn if you can because in my experience it tends to cause itching and too much waste, and if you follow those rules as well as looking for a lack of by-products, you've got a good food.
(I would try a petsmart for food rather than petco, because though petco has a bit larger variety I find that their food is between 2-6 dollars more expensive per bag than petsmart)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same problem myself. Money is tight and I've been feeding mine Nutro, which I don't think is as good as EVO but it's ok for the price. I've had someone recommend the "Exclusive" line which is available from PMI nutrition. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like a good brand and there is a dealer nearby.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I can't buy the kirkland atm only because its two hours away and the only people I know with a membership are on vacation for 3 weeks. Once they're back I'll be sure to get them to pick up a couple large bags for me!!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Kirklands is ranked higher than nutro, we switched our sensitive system dog from nutro to kirklands and it has worked very well. If you can get someone to get a couple bags for you it is worth it!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
You can go on fda.gov to read about how different dog food stack up and which ones have been involved in recalls (ol'roy from walmart has been involved in 3-4 if I remember correctly).

A hint I was going to give-go on manufacturer's sites and get coupons and free samples-that helps cut costs! Also petsmart and other sites have reward clubs and coupons weekly :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
when I worked at the big box stores, Nutro was the most returned food...dogs didn't like the taste/smell or som'thing and would snub it. ;)
I could believe this, Peyton eats everything and anything but once we got the kirklands puppy he started to want that over the nutro like nobodys business.

Glacier was originally on Pro-Plan and the second he got a whiff of kirklands he refused to eat that crap so we had to switch him over fast lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How about Blue Buffalo - Wilderness? I wouldn't recommend anything else of Blue Buffalo but looking at the label of Wilderness, I have to say it's not so bad.

Crude Protein 42.0% min Crude Fat 16.0% min Crude Fiber 3.0% max Moisture 10.0% max Calcium 1.0% min Phosphorus 0.9% min L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.25% min Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.50% min Beta-Carotene* 5.0 mg/kg min
Link: BLUE Buffalo Wilderness - High Protein All Natural Healthy Dog Food

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine used to eat Evo too, until I realized that if I didn't make some changes we'd all be living in a cardboard box! I switched them to Taste Of the Wild, which is a grain free. I spend $41.99 on a 30 lb bag, which is a great price fro grain free. Also keep in mind that if you feed the grocery store brand, you're going to have to feed more because of all the junk and fillers in it. My two 60ish lb dogs only eat 2 cups a day of the TOTW.

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
Mine used to eat Evo too, until I realized that if I didn't make some changes we'd all be living in a cardboard box! I switched them to Taste Of the Wild, which is a grain free. I spend $41.99 on a 30 lb bag, which is a great price fro grain free. Also keep in mind that if you feed the grocery store brand, you're going to have to feed more because of all the junk and fillers in it. My two 60ish lb dogs only eat 2 cups a day of the TOTW.
this is a good point, i always check out the recommended amount of food first before i bother with the list of ingredients (its usually bigger print lol) when you see 4-5 cups of food for a 50lb dog, you can tell that the food is full of fillers w/o bothering with reading the ingredients...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of the cheaper foods I would feed Healthwise, California Natural, or Merrick. They are the only grain foods I trust. No recalls, no china ingredients. Of the better grain free foods like evo, Before Grain which is made by merrick is less of a pocket buster. Karma is a good food as well but is up their in price with Orijen, and Acana.

All food mentioned has not been part of ANY recall and is the safest foods you can feed.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
All food mentioned has not been part of ANY recall and is the safest foods you can feed
Thanks for those brands-good information :)

Actually ;)
Orijen was part of a recall, in Australia-cat food; likely due to the irridation process that australia does with imported foods though. http://www.orijen.se/aussieupd.pdf

for all interested-here's a list of pet food recalls

Pet Food Recall Products List

1 - 16 of 16 Posts