Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had bella about 5 months, she is almost 8 months old and she hates it outside, she has been like this since I got her, She will go outside to potty and she wants in she pulls and pulls and pulls, until she cannot breathe even with a harness she will pull until you take her inside. I have tried treats but she ignores them and won't take them, I have tried toys same thing ignores them even other dogs she doesn't care she just wants IN. It is impossible to make her stay outside, Even sitting on the front porch she scratches the door and whines until you take her inside. I can't go outside because my mom doesn't like watching her alone and I can't take bella outside with me because of the way she acts, I have tried everything and there is just no progress being made. If anything it's getting worse. It doesn't matter what sounds are outside she wants inside as soon as she is done pottying. If she has to potty she will run outside(off leash) but she runs right back to the door when she is done. I want to be able to have her outside sitting in the yard but all she does is pull to the house, I tried it today and she pulled at the end of her leash (Wheezing from pulling and whining for over 30 minutes. I just don't understand it. I have never known a dog to be like this, none of her siblings are they love the outside but Bella HATES it.

Also She still growls and barks at people. We take her to the vet she growls at them, people come inside she growls unless they come a couple times a week, My aunt came yesterday she growled and barked and her hair stands on her back, She does the same to my biological dad, she growls and barks until he leaves. They tried giving her treats she will take it and go back to growling. She has seen my aunt multiple times and she still growls. It sounds aggressive but she won't bite just licks their hand. I don't get why she is like this. It doesn't quiet down once they are here a while, She growls and barks the ENTIRE time they are here. It has made me hate company because she barks and barks and barks and growls and growls and growls non stop

·
Registered
343 Posts
What different approaches have you tried for getting her to like it outside? Please be detailed and specific.

I know you've mentioned in previous posts that there are no trainers in your area that you can utilize. Have you looked into finding someone that will work with you over webcam?

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just the ones that I have already stated, treats toys, etc, and I also do not have any money for a trainer, I have to come up with 1000$ to pay for my summer classes, renew my cpr certification and gas to get back and forth to my internship I have to do. I don't have a job as I am a student my mom pays for dog food. I use Financial aid and I have to save everything I have for my classes since FA won't pay for those 2 classes and It's going to cost over 1000$ I spent about everything I had for Bella's spay/all her shots

·
Registered
661 Posts
If you don't have the resourses to care for a dog and your family can't/won't help, perhaps you need to look into rehoming her with someone who is able both emotionally and financially to help Bella overcome her issues.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not going to rehome my dog, This is a temporary situation in which I am out of money, After I finish my classes I will have a job. I already had to rehome one dog recently due to her aggression issues I am not going to rehome Bella.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think you have gotten tons of advice for the many problems you have with your dog already. There is no magic training bullet here, your dog has multiple issues.

Clearly, the advice offered has not been helpful or successful, so short of hiring a trainer/behaviorist I am not sure what more to say to you. Also, you are asking on an internet forum to people who have never seen you, your dog or your environment, so posters can only offer generalized training suggestions which may or may not be relevant.

Perhaps you should medicate her?

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Medicate her for what. Fear.. That does not make any sense.
I will try and record a video next time I am outside with her so you can see how she acts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Medicate her for what. Fear.. That does not make any sense.
I will try and record a video next time I am outside with her so you can see how she acts.
Medicate her for anxiety probably...

I'm with @gnosticdog I think you seriously need to consider that this pup just isn't getting what it needs from you and the longer you wait, the worse you're making the problem. Sometimes life just plain sucks. If you absolutely will not rehome then at the very least get in touch with some rescues in your area or start a fundraiser or something to try and get this pup some help. You clearly have no idea how to train a fearful or anxious dog so you need to find someone who does. Everyone here has given you as much help as they can and you continually refuse to listen to anything that doesn't fit your lifestyle and then complain that you've tried everything and nothing works. You've continually been asked for concrete examples and more detail about your issues with Bella and you keep offering no additional information other than various excuses for every problem.

I'm against rehoming a pet unless it's necessary, and in your case I would absolutely say it is. You don't have the means to care for the dog and based on your various post everyone, including Bella, sounds like they are miserable.

And don't worry, this is the last time I'll be posting on your thread or trying to help.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well, I certainly don't agree with medicating dogs, but I wonder what's left? I don't think higher value treats or more exciting toys are going to do the trick. The medication would be for generalized anxiety. I would try some Bach's Rescue Remedy and see if that helps, Rescue Remedy is a flower essence blend which is totally safe, cheap and many find helpful.

A video would be helpful to see what you are dealing with, but it can't replace working with an experienced behaviorist.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Have you yet tried slowly working your way to going outside like we've recommended. Start at the point that she will take treats but is just a bit cautious and work with her there till she's happily taking treats and is relaxed, then move another step towards outside, rinse and repeat till you have her out in the yard and happy to be there. You need to go as slow as she needs you to. You cannot go at your pace, you MUST go at hers. That means if it takes 2 weeks at one place till she's good there, you work with her there for two weeks.

Have you checked out these two sites yet and started the protocol that they recommend. Fearfuldogs.com. Care for Reactive Dogs .

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well as I have stated No trainers are in my area, and I cannot afford one anyway as I have recently found out I need 1000$ by may for classes or I cannot graduate

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok. so have you checked out the two above websites?

ANd have you started using the advice from previous threads? Because it sounds like most recently you leashed her, took her to go pee and then sat with her outside for 30 minutes while she wheezed and pulled on the harness. What this tells me is you moved too fast. Go back to where she is comfortable- if that's peeing and running inside, then fine. Work in BABY steps from there. Maybe hanging out in the same room as the door to outside with a toy or high value treats. Once she is cool with that (as in NO distress, all happy body signals), then work on hanging out in that room with the door open. Or moving nearer and nearer to the door. Then being beside the door. Beside the open door. Hovering in and out of the door. One step outside of the door. Etc. Each of those stages you will need to work up from her being comfortable only for a second or two, until she is completely comfortable. The thing about this is SHE dictates the pace. If you force it and force her to be in a space she is uncomfortable in for too long or jump too far ahead, you ruin the training you've already done.
30 minutes outside with a leash on, pulling and straining means you've gone too far too fast.
This process isn't a fast one. Expect to spend a lot of time not even near the door or outside. Expect her to go backwards some days. And make progress very very very slowly on others.

I also like the idea of going to a shelter or setting up a GoFundMe to get funds for this dog. It's clear that you need some help training her and need to look into some options to finance it. It's ok to ask for a need help in training a dog. Especially one that is fearful and reactive.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also she is fine being around the door with it open as long as she is inside. It's when she goes outside the problem starts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok. So what baby steps did you try to get her outside? Where did things start to go sideways? She's good around the door, even open, when she's inside. What was your next step? Because counter-conditioning measures DO work, but they take time. And sometimes, we don't always realize that what we think is the next step, maybe too big of a step. So lets see if maybe we can help you find the next step from "good in the room with the door open"!

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Please do finally video and post a typical training session of you working on this issue with Bella.

If you have honestly been working regularly (daily sessions) on tackling this fear following advice you have been given here without progress something is wrong... May very well be you are making mistakes in implmenting these methods. Iirc much of the advice falls under counter conditioning and desensitization... Easy in theory but also easy to make errors that slow down or hinder progress.

Without video no one here is likely to be able to offer anything all that different from past advice.

Last as I've said in the past, you and Bella really do likely need professional help. Iirc I gave you links to several good trainers who offer online training. I understand money is tight, but these isses have been going on since day 1... Given it's been such a long time with no progress maybe find a part time job to have a bit of extra cash so that Bella can get the help she needs. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I posted a video(it's in another thread I made) a part time job is hard considering I'm a full time student in college with 5 classes and I will have to do 16 hours at an internship on top of two classes I will be taking in may

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have no way to record another video, my phone is full and it won't let me record or take any pictures. This is bascially what she does even when i attempt to give her treats she completely ignores them. I have tried sitting on the front porch with her and even weeks after trying the front porch she still scratches and whines wanting to go inside. I have been working with her on the porch for almost a month and all she does is whine and scratch at the door

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.