Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Really sad. :-( I wouldn't treat any of my dogs with THC, I don't think there's enough research on the effects it has on a dog for me to feel comfortable with that that! Is that legal even??

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I could be totally off base as I only researched cannibis briefly.

I think the toxicity is more an issue of pets getting into human edibles, not as a by product of treatment.

A lot of the times when cannibis is used, it's hemp oil and has almost no THC, meaning it is generally very safe.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

I think the toxicity is more an issue of pets getting into human edibles, not as a by product of treatment.

A lot of the times when cannibis is used, it's hemp oil and has almost no THC, meaning it is generally very safe.
Hemp oil makes more sense! I guess I'd have to research it, im not opposed at all to humans using but wary about humans giving to their pets as I can't find a lot of good research on it!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Hemp oil makes more sense! I guess I'd have to research it, im not opposed at all to humans using but wary about humans giving to their pets as I can't find a lot of good research on it!
Yeah, unfortunately the scientific research is lacking a bit!

I looked into it as a supplement for Chisums anxiety, but there were mixed reviews so I decided to just hold off for now.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately the scientific research is lacking a bit!

I looked into it as a supplement for Chisums anxiety, but there were mixed reviews so I decided to just hold off for now.
Jeez maybe it would do the dog I house sat last night some good! The poor guy randomly went into a full panic and was panting like he had just ran a four mile hike and shaking violently. We called his mom and she told us to put on his thunder shirt which didn't help at all :-/ Eventually two hours later at 2am he finally started to calm down, but it was a rough night and I felt really bad for him!

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I know so did oregon, but I mean to treat your dogs ailments as the article suggested
I don't see how it could be illegal if it is legal for humans. I'm drawing a blank as to what legal substance is illegal to administer to one's pet. Maybe prescription drugs for the human or vice versa? I could possibly see some form of animal cruelty laws being violated if the dosing of pot to a dog created obvious hazard to the dog.

I wouldn't give my dog pot unless a vet prescribed it.

Seems like PoppyKenna knows the score about the use of CBDs which as stated is void of THC.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It is currently illegal and unsafe for veterinary use, including hemp oil. The states that have passed laws to legalize pot have only done so for human use. Veterinarians are regulated by more than just their state. The USDA, FDA, and DEA are all notational organizations that your local vet may report to and none of those organizations endorse the use of marijuana. There's actually been quite a few different articles about this topic in the various vet publications recently, since the industry has been dealing with the negative side effects of society's open view on pot, I'll have to see if I can find a few of the articles to share.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't see how it could be illegal if it is legal for humans. I'm drawing a blank as to what legal substance is illegal to administer to one's pet. Maybe prescription drugs for the human or vice versa? I could possibly see some form of animal cruelty laws being violated if the dosing of pot to a dog created obvious hazard to the dog.

I wouldn't give my dog pot unless a vet prescribed it.

Seems like PoppyKenna knows the score about the use of CBDs which as stated is void of THC.
Uhhh well alcohol is legal but you wouldn't put whiskey in your dogs water bowl to help them sleep? I personally wouldn't mess with THC and my dog until some solid research comes out that I can read up on / my vet told me it was the best option.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Uhhh well alcohol is legal but you wouldn't put whiskey in your dogs water bowl to help them sleep? I personally wouldn't mess with THC and my dog until some solid research comes out that I can read up on / my vet told me it was the best option.
I believe you just answered your original question of " Is that legal even??"

Just because one "wouldn't" does not make it illegal.

I believe Nevada not too long ago proposed legislation for the use of medical marijuana for dogs per a vet's authorization. The bill failed but the ones in favor of the bill did not seem to worry too much as Nevada recently passed laws allowing for recreational marijuana hence owners of pets can legally use pot for their pets if they choose, sidestepping any vet's authorization.

I think most all of us are aware of so many of the items which are toxic to a dog but I honestly cannot think of any items which are illegal to give to a dog, maybe someone else can. I kind of like it better that way as common sense should prevail, kind of like your example of "wouldn't".

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well purposely giving an animal a substance with the intent to cause harm, would be considered animal cruelty, which is illegal. Though I doubt the law specifies specifically which substances are illegal. Unfortunately common sense isn't that common. Working in a vet hospital we see our fair share of bad advice, terrible ideas, and just flat out stupidity at the cost of our patients. That's why I like working with my patients, it's not their fault they ended up sick or hurt.

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
That sounds just like what I posted earlier in the thread. " I could possibly see some form of animal cruelty laws being violated if the dosing of pot to a dog created obvious hazard to the dog."

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
There is no known safe dose for dogs, period. So until a safe dose, if any, has been established then it is considered unsafe and illegal for use in veterinary medicine.
I don't even understand the path this thread has taken. The original query posed was in reference to the owner dosing (inadvertently or intentionally) a dog with pot ( which the original link discussed ) not a vet. We all understand that pot is not prescribed by vets but thanks for reiterating the obvious which has never been contended.

Reading an entire thread at times has the wonderful benefit of eliminating confusion.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Good point, I hadn't considered it as a derivative.

I suspect there'd be a therapeutic dose range* though it sounds like it would be pretty huge.

*effective but not detrimental.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no known safe dose for dogs, period. So until a safe dose, if any, has been established then it is considered unsafe and illegal for use in veterinary medicine.

I imagine it would also apply to giving it to pets for any reason because no safe dose has been established in veterinary medicine and it has been found harmful. As both the toxicity and lack of safe dose information is easily accessible to the public I can see a judge ruling wrongful treatment even if given by a lay person.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
So just so everyone's aware- hemp and marijuana are too different things. They come from the same plant, Cannabis sativa, but have very different properties. Marijuana is the plant that gets you high, it contains THC which is a psychoactive cannabinoid. THC is thought to affect dogs more strongly than humans. Hemp is a type of cannabis that has only trace amounts, if any at all, of THC. Hemp and the oil derived from it contain CBD, which does not have that psychoactive affect, but has been found to have health benefits including reducing anxiety and joint inflammation in both human and animal studies, which is why I use it for my dog. She is anxious and fearful and also has grade 3 luxating patellas. I did talk to my vet before trying it and he didn't see any problems with that.

@PoppyKenna Honestly, I've found fluoxetine to be more helpful for her anxiety than hemp oil/CBD. But it doesn't hurt and I do see a difference in low stress situations. In high stress situations it doesn't make a significant difference.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
@PoppyKenna Honestly, I've found fluoxetine to be more helpful for her anxiety than hemp oil/CBD. But it doesn't hurt and I do see a difference in low stress situations. In high stress situations it doesn't make a significant difference.

Yeah, I kind of figured it would be similar here, too. I do think fluoxetine has helped Chisum too, but I'll be interested to see if when we see the vet at the end of the month, if he suggests modifying dosages. He takes a minimum amount of fluoxetine right now as well as a substantial dose of trazodone - I think the trazodone should be less and the fluoxetine more as the trazodone really just makes him sleepy. But we'll see!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts