Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Michelle and my five year old Labrador Cody, has Canine Lymphoma. I found out on my birthday in September and since then I have scoured the internet, made phone calls, researched and am now treating him with Chemotherapy and a strict diet and vitamin regiment. And he is doing GREAT and happy! I have been keeping a Blog about our story, the costs and the treatments, his diet and all the care I am doing for him. This is our story and I wanted to share it with as many people as I could to help anyone else who may be facing this very sad and incredibly prominent disease. I had a hard time finding and disseminating information on the web to put into practical use, which is why I started this.

Saving Cody

Please feel free to pass it along to anyone you think it may help. May all your best friends live long healthy lives!

M

·
Registered
3 Posts
My beloved Boxer had canine lymphoma last year. He was diagnosed on the 5th of October and 6 weeks later I had to make the sole destroying decision to put him to rest. Unlike you I refused chemo for him as the vet said it won't cure him. The vet was shocked that I refused it. But my argument was how long with the chemo? The vet said 12 months max. So the end result was going to be the same, so he had a shot of steroids and the last 5 and 1/2 weeks of his life he was the Archie I knew. Then I had to make the decision. As I write this I have tears falling as he was my dog and I miss him so very much still to this day and it was over a year ago. It wasn't about the money he was fully insured. I just couldn't do it as it was just giving me time and the vet couldn't guarantee that time would be good. When I did make the decision the vet said that he couldn't believe how quickly he had deteriorated and said he had the most aggressive form. So that gave me the peace of mind I needed. It is defiantly a personnel decision and I wish you and Cody the best time you have left together. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me it was the hardest decision i have ever made in my life. Cody is only five years old, and prior to finding the lumps inhis neck he was the healthiest of specimen ever. He is lean, strong, runs every day playing fetch with me, no table food, and happy as can be. I had a hard time even believing his prognosis. And i have to say as he is curled up next to me right now watching football, that is is still my same sweet boy. He's lost some whiskers, but other than that and some new grey on his chin, no side effects.

My vet says the same thing, that most dogs are only prolonged. There is no cure. I am hoping Cody is that exception. He is again, so young and so healthy. I had to fight.

And you are right, it is a personal decision completely. And as much as this is for me And my peace of mind that i tried, it is also for him. As i said on my blog, i made him a promise...

As long as he stays the happy boy I know and love, I will keep fighting for him. But if he ever starts to suffer, becomes so sick that he is no longer enjoying his life, i will not prolong his agony for my benefit. I will let him go.

I am sorry about Archie. It is a horrible aggressive disease. You can only do what you can, and what you feel is best for you both.

M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.