Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
London got mail today. She earned her Canine Good Citizen Title. Thanks to all the instructors at Keystone Canine Club. Pam Lewis for testing us. We are proud of our little girl. She is such a fun "Pup pup!" They have to demonstrate the following skills.
Canine Good Citizen test is a nationally recognized program that instills a sense of responsibility and good manners in dogs and owners alike. The heart of the CGC program is the 10-step CGC test. CGC The test consists of the following practical exercises:
1. Accepting a friendly stranger
2. Sitting politely for petting
3. Appearance and grooming
4. Walking on a loose leash
5. Walking through a crowd
6. Sit and down on command and staying in place
7. Coming when called
8. Reaction to another dog
9. Reacting (or not reacting) to a distraction
10. Supervised separation.
20210105_180844.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
Clever London! Congratulations, excellent result.

I think Timber would fail on the grooming, I could brush him for an hour, then one shake and he looks like Hairy McLary again.

That and supervised separation. Not his forte.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clever London! Congratulations, excellent result.

I think Timber would fail on the grooming, I could brush him for an hour, then one shake and he looks like Hairy McLary again.

That and supervised separation. Not his forte.
Ha I love the Hairy McLary look!! The grooming is in reference to the owner taking good care of their dog which you do!! You also have to sign a pledge: AKC CGC Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well done.. Murphy would fail on a few of those requirements esp the stranger and the crowd ..
Is this good citizen thing a stepping stone to something else ?
In the US where certain breeds are not covered by some insurance company the CGC title reduces home insurance rates with some companies. It is required in some states for a dog to be allowed as a resident in an apartment building. There are higher levels of this certification program. Community and Urban. It is proof that owners are committed to the training and care of their canine companions. Not all dogs are capable of passing which doesn't mean that they are not good citizens. It is a program designed to encourage dog training in the US. Our next step will be Therapy Dog International. As soon as Covid is done. The program has been shut down for now because it requires close interaction with people.

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Congratulations to you both. :D. I wouldn't trust Milly with the sit/down stays or Honey with the Meet/greet/petted by a stranger or the grooming. . .. Or the not reacting to a distraction. :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
66 Posts
London is such a pretty dog! Congratulations on yours and her achievement! CGC is fairly easy for some and a HUGE milestone for others.

With my dog it was reactivity on leash. We did get there, but that one element took some time...

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Well done!

I was able to get a CGC on my parents' Aussie - the entire thing was a breeze for him. My mom was going to look into getting him certified as a therapy dog but then, Covid.

My own dogs couldn't do it - Sophie would struggle with the 3 minute separation and Chisum would struggle with all of it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts