Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! Quick question. Is there a way to verify CGC certification other than the certificate that the AKC sends out? I am moving and the place asked if my pup had any kind of specilized training so I told them she’d passed her CGC test about a year ago (so proud of my girl) and they asked for proof so I sent them a pic of her certificate and they asked for her registration number to verify it with akc?!? Is that a thing? Because I don’t remember getting anything other than the certificate from them

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds legit that they want to verify it with the akc. Otherwise the picture of the certificate could belong to any dog. I’m not experienced with the akc or this CGC certificate but shouldn’t you be able to see it if you look up her registration number? In that case, just give them her registration number and they should be able to see her CGC certificate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds legit that they want to verify it with the akc. Otherwise the picture of the certificate could belong to any dog. I’m not experienced with the akc or this CGC certificate but shouldn’t you be able to see it if you look up her registration number? In that case, just give them her registration number and they should be able to see her CGC certificate.
But she’s not registered with akc? She’s a mix and a rescue so I don’t have any akc paper work with her

·
Registered
618 Posts
Okay but she must be registered somewhere with an id chip? I guess the certificate has to be specified with some registration number as well? You should be able (with paperwork or through a database) to prove that you own the dog with the registration number that matches the one o the certificate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay but she must be registered somewhere with an id chip? I guess the certificate has to be specified with some registration number as well? You should be able (with paperwork or through a database) to prove that you own the dog with the registration number that matches the one o the certificate.
But there is no registration number on my certificate. That’s what I’m trying to explain. Did yours come with one? The other puppy parents from my class got the same certificate as mine. And it just has our names, our pups name, the date the class was passed and then a gold “stamp” embossed on the bottom

·
Registered
618 Posts
But there is no registration number on my certificate. That’s what I’m trying to explain. Did yours come with one? The other puppy parents from my class got the same certificate as mine. And it just has our names, our pups name, the date the class was passed and then a gold “stamp” embossed on the bottom
As I said I have no experience with this CGC certificate and I don’t know how it works in the U.S since I don’t live there. But it sounds strange to me that the certificate isn’t personalized with a registration number or such, since many residences seem to demand this type of certificate. There’s no way for them to know if the picture of the certificate you sent them actually belongs to your dog if its only specified with the dogs name.

This is what I found on the akc’s website:
“For owners wishing to receive an AKC CGC Title once their dog passes the test, they will need to complete the title application form which is provided by the evaluator. In order to complete this application, the tested dog will need to have a registration number which can be either an AKC/FSS Registration number, Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) or Canine Partners (CP).”

Maybe you haven’t followed through with the title application? She might have passed the test and gotten a diploma but haven’t received the title. If it’s similar to what I’m used to you should be able to see the title as you search the dogs registration number (if you’ve completed the title application).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts