Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to register my dog Rocky and my step-dads dog Jules as therapy dogs. I have been reading up on how to do this and what the requirements are and while doing my research I came across the CGC. After reading about it I am very interested in having both of them being CGC certified. The AKC website didn't have all the answers for me on top of it didn't want to load on my computer so I thought I would ask you guys a few questions:).

1. Can I train my dog's myself or do I have to take them to AKC club trainers?

2. What are the requirements of the evaluation?

3. How do I find someone to evaluate them?

4. Any tips or other info is welcome!:)

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
You can train them yourself. But CGC classes are also pretty common and would be helpful first time around.

All 10 test items are listed and described on the AKC website.

There is also a list of Evaluators and upcoming tests.

I will help you find the info later once home if you still needs the links.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can train them yourself. But CGC classes are also pretty common and would be helpful first time around.

All 10 test items are listed and described on the AKC website.

There is also a list of Evaluators and upcoming tests.

I will help you find the info later once home if you still needs the links.:)
Posted via Mobile Device
The CGC classes are they typically +R? All the trainers in my area do -R unless I want to drive 1 hour or longer to get to them and that's just not possible right now.

Links would be great!! I was on the AKC website but my computer is being stupid and does not want to load anything on that website except the home page. Not sure why but its been having a lot of issues lately. Even this website is having issues loading and takes forever to load!:mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's basically just teaching a dog good manners; not rushing through doors knocking you over, nice leash walking, basic obedience, greeting new people and dogs respectfully, etc. IMO, you do not need formal training just consistency on your behalf and a good working relationship with your dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
^ The AKC CGC doesn't include door manners or actually greeting dogs ("reaction to dogs" requires the dog to walk nicely towards another person and dog then remain at their handler's side while handlers greet and shake hands before moving on)... but agree that it is mostly (not all and for some dogs will require some behavior mod) manners and basic obedience.:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You for the links!! They are working on my phone so I was able to view them. Rocky has passed a level 1 obedience course so we have most of that down. I see us having a problem with #10 though but I can see if I can get some friends to help me out! Thank you all ��
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dog reaction is something we are currently working on. He's good with people so long as they keep going but if they stop he can get excited. He is doing much better though but its still a work in progress. ��
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
669 Posts
Something I didn't know when Quenya got her CGC is that I was allowed to repeat one item on the list if my dog failed it the first time. I didn't end up needing to repeat anything, but during the test it really helped me relax knowing that if I screwed up, or a squirrel ran by, or something, I wouldn't lose the whole test.

That said, I don't know for certain if that was just something my particular elvaluator allowed, or if it's a general policy. It's worth asking whoever you find to evaluate you though!

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
It's right in the evaluator guide, though my personal understanding is that it is up to the evaluator (states "evaluators may choose to..."). I always have but wouldn't if failure was due to aggression or fear/anxiety. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
^ The AKC CGC doesn't include door manners or actually greeting dogs ("reaction to dogs" requires the dog to walk nicely towards another person and dog then remain at their handler's side while handlers greet and shake hands before moving on)... but agree that it is mostly (not all and for some dogs will require some behavior mod) manners and basic obedience.:)
The CGCA does have a portion that is loosely based on walking through a doorway. Since our test was conducted in a parking lot they used a couple of lawn chairs to resemble a narrow passegeway (such as a doorway) and you'd put your dog in a stay on one side, walk through, and call them through. Not part of the standard CGC testing, though. Our evaluator was mainly looking to see that the dogs responded appropriately towards each other. They didn't need to sit there like perfect statures, but couldn't act aggressively, shy away tremendously, or go absolutely nuts trying to interact with the other dog. Each meet and greet would count for both dogs, so no one had to repeat it.

My general impression from when we did the test (and watching other dogs being tested) was that the dogs generally needed to be well mannered, adequately perform the tasks, and not behave aggressively towards people or other dogs during the testing/waiting period. Our evaluator wasn't really looking for everyone to be high level obedience dogs- simply guys who could perform the tasks in a relatively calm manner without showing aggression. However, some evaluators may be more stringent than others.

Our club hosts CGC classes each year, but I didn't participate. It's all stuff that we've been doing in our traditional obedience classes. The big advantage of taking a class is that you have the instructor there to basically walk you through the process and tell you how everything will go. They can also give you advice on the best way to train/execute certain portions. I couldn't see trainers altering their methods for a CGC class. A positive only trainer wouldn't use corrections for this class, and a trainer who incorporates corrections probably wouldn't stop that for a CGC class. Honestly I'd say how much you get out of it would depend on how much obedience training you and your dog have, and how confident you are in doing the steps in the test.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
yes! CGCA does it include door manners/manners entering a narrow passage. The CGCA is the title earned via Community Canine test and is the third level(STAR Puppy, CGC, Community Canine) of the program. It is harder than the CGC and has different tests and requirements.

FWIW there's also a new test CGC Urban. Again harder than the CGC and different tests (does include door manners and multiple skills specific to city life like elevators and behavior on public transportation.)

A dog has to have earned the CGC before going on to Community Canine/CGCA. Not sure on CGC urban (I don't live in an urban location and am not offering it so not super familiar with all details.)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
yes! CGCA does it include door manners/manners entering a narrow passage. The CGCA is the title earned via Community Canine test and is the third level(STAR Puppy, CGC, Community Canine) of the program. It is harder than the CGC and has different tests and requirements.

FWIW there's also a new test CGC Urban. Again harder than the CGC and different tests (does include door manners and multiple skills specific to city life like elevators and behavior on public transportation.)

A dog has to have earned the CGC before going on to Community Canine/CGCA. Not sure on CGC urban (I don't live in an urban location and am not offering it so not super familiar with all details.)
Posted via Mobile Device
Our evaluator offered both the CGC and CGCA on the same occasion. Dogs who passed the CGC that day (or had already earned their CGC) could take the CGCA after everyone had a go at the CGC. She just said to make sure we submitted the CGC paperwork and gave it time to process before sending the CGCA paperwork or it would not get processed properly. The 5 or 6 week courses put on by our club are geared towards getting your dog to pass both portions. Of course, if you don't think your dog is ready for the CGCA then you are not obligated to do the test.

Unfortunately, ours does not do the urban test. I'd look into it if I found a testing opportunity close by! Hopefully we'll offer it in the future.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I don't know if you're interested in doing therapy work or not, but if you are, check to see how the test you'd have to pass is regarded by the AKC. I know that if you pass the Therapy Dog International test, the AKC considers that the equivalent of passing both the CGC and CGCA tests and will award both those titles if you can prove you passed the TDI test. I would imagine a similar situation might exist with other groups that are on the AKC's approved list of therapy organizations to which you may belong if you are seeking AKC therapy dog titles.

I mention this only because it's a potential savings of time and money--I took a four week TDI course before taking the test (not required, but I found it very helpful) for $20. I then took the test for $5. So, for a total of $25, I got TDI certification and the CGC and CGCA titles. If I hadn't taken the class, it would have been $5. I believe some TDI chapters may charge up to $10 for the test, but they shouldn't be charging more than that. However, I would not recommend using the TDI test to get the other two titles; go for a therapy dog certification only if you really intend to do therapy work with your dog. But if you were thinking about doing that anyway, you might as well look into how the tests overlap. BTW, it doesn't work the other way. If you pass the CGC and CGCA, you still have to pass the TDI test for certification if you want to do therapy work as it covers specific things that would apply to therapy dog situations in hospitals etc.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
where i live dogs have to sit and wait for you to go through the gate and they have to do it in controlled manner @kmes i had no idea you are an assessor for CGC!

OP Jessie and i just passed foundation level! it may sound easy but its not! foundation has to be the hardest to pass because so much to get through! didnt go for bronze because she was tired and getting to point i knew she would start to get over tired. it took 2 hours!

basically i had to pass for foundation the following:

1.Appearance, handling and responsibility
a.Responsibility and care
b.Public cleanliness and identification

c.Examination of the dog by handler
d.Grooming and inspection of the dog by the assessor
2.Food manners
a.Person eating
b.Dog eating
3.Accepting a friendly stranger
4.Accepting being patted by a friendly stranger
5.Walk on lead through a door/gate