Dog Forum banner

Cane Corso/Tibetan Mastiff

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  PinkMellow 
#1 ·
These are the two breeds I am currently in love with. I realize they are not breeds for novice owners, which is why we did not spring for them initially and are slowly working our way up. So far I have raised a havanese and a pug and I realize these are nowhere near the same difficulty level. Next we are going to spring for a good beginner larger breed, maybe a golden retriever, and then maybe a more difficult but still fairly gentle large working breed like a great pyrenees or newfie or st Bernard, etc. I figure once we have experience with these easier to manage larger breeds and determine we can handle them and train them appropriately (ultimate goal is to be able to get them to pass canine good citizen test), then we can move on to these more challenging breeds. I figure if I can't even get our pug to pass the canine good citizen test I shouldn't get a tibetan mastiff, for example :)

Anyways I would just like to know if anyone on here has any experience with these breeds and advice on what I should know beforehand. I have already done a LOT of reading, including on the breed club websites, so I can understand that these dogs will be a massive undertaking. (I would not own both at the same time.) I have a dream (may be a pipe dream) of showing tibetan mastiffs one day, and of having a cane corso I could use in obedience competitions. I also would have liked to use the tibetan mastiff as a LGD but for some reason the AKC says they do not make good LGDs? I can't find any reasons as to why though. Anyways if anyone could give me any pointers about the breeds I'd be very grateful!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't ever owned either of these breeds, but have seen and worked with a few. I was a bit surprised when you said that AKC says TMs were not good LGDs, but couldn't find on their web site anything stating that. Link?

I think the recommendation is that they not be left out with the stock 24/7 because they have a tendency to get very territorial, and so can be pretty aggressive toward strangers. Early socialization and training is key with these dogs.

What is there about these breeds that makes them so attractive for you?

#3 · (Edited)
I read it in the latest AKC breeds book that they were not good LGDs it also says it on the breed club website and several other sources. However I discovered the reason, it is because they were developed more for property guarding purposes so don't tend to bond to a flock and protect the flock specifically but rather protect their home area. Due to this if I got one I would probably combine it with a dog such as a great pyrenees so the pyrenees could stay with the flock while the TM would guard the perimeter from predators. Also from researching their temperaments I think of all the LGDs a pyrenees would get along the best with a TM due to their gentle/tolerant nature. Though supposedly TMs are typically good with other dogs they are raised with.

I love TMs because I think they are absolutely beautiful. However not only that but they are supposed to be amazing homestead protectors. I also enjoy that they are independent and am excited at the challenge of training one as it is not supposed to be easy.

I love cane corsos not only because of their looks but because they are one of the most highly trainable mastiffs from what I read. Also for their protective aspect. I do not think I would own a TM and a corso at the same time though as both require a large amount of work to go into their training & aren't super compatible temperament wise.

I really just adore mastiffs in general, all types of mastiffs. They are big which makes me feel safe (I struggle with anxiety and ptsd amongst other things so having a big dog around really helps me). I understand that they require a lot of effort to train and these dogs are working breeds that need a job, which is why I would be interested in participating in obedience with the corso (it's a dream of mine to get involved with dog sports) and would use the TM as a guardian dog for my property perimeter in tandem with a livestock guardian dog.

Hope that explains it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.