Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post here so I apologize if it is in the wrong section of the forum.
I have a male cane corso who is 4 months old. I am a bit concerned over his sleeping schedule. We walk about 3 times a day usually an hour in the morning, 30 mins in afternoon, and like another hour at night. But apart from that he sleeps most of the day. Is that normal? Do you guys think the walks are to much? The reason I ask is because he seems to be getting lazier. Last time I visited his vet she said he is completely healthy but that was about a month ago and he has been sleeping more and more since then. My next appointment with her is next month.

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
That is a lot of walking for a 4 month old large breed dog. Be cautious not to over do it as doing so can cause joint issues.

·
Registered
434 Posts
That is a lot of walking but sleeping a lot for a puppy is not unusual. I've got a four-month old Morkie who goes and goes and goes and them naps. He continues this throughout the day. He usually falls asleep about 10:00 p.m. and sleeps straight through until 6:00 a.m.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. It did seem like alot of walking to me to but he seems to ask for more. We walk at a slow-ish pace to be careful for his developing bones and joints. His sleeping schedule is all over the place but he usually seems to be completely out around 8 or 9pm and he gets up anywhere around 6-8am. If it seems normal for him to be sleeping alot during the day I guess my question is answered. I'll keep this thread updated if anything changes.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Dogs, most, do tend to sleep a lot. I read that a healthy dog will generally sleep between 16 to 18 hours per day. I know ours sleeps a lot, though she is just about 8 years, and in the past 18 months or so, her sleep periods have increased.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My con corsa puppy is 6 months old. She’s the light of my life. But she can not stand to be away from me. What do I do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My con corsa puppy is 6 months old. She’s the light of my life. But she can not stand to be away from me. What do I do? Just as I cannot stand to be away from her. How do we break this cycle? Or do we need to?

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
It is important to teach your puppy independence, one good way of starting this is to play the Flitting Game.

It is described about ⅔ of the way down this link -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts