Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have dogs with cancer, what do you feed him/her?

As I understand, a low carb diet is best, so we changed one of our dog's to TOTW; however, even though it's grain free, I think it may still be high carb from fruits/veggies. (It's not primarily meat based like in Evo or Orijen.) What do you think? We'd been adding meats/eggs here and there, but should we make it more consistent to increase the protein to carb ratio?

Do you supplement with any herbs? I have been giving Morgan a small regimen, but as my vets are not the alternative/holistic sort, I haven't consulted with them. I've done some reading as far as the biochemistry goes and how they may interact combined goes, but it's a work in progress.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't know that Diamond Naturals made a no-grain formula and will look into that. The feed store where we get TOTW carries Diamond and Natural Balance LIDS and has ordered Canidae Grain-Free for us in the past, so I bet we could get our hands on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Research cottage cheese and flax seed oil, or the budwig diet. very interesting, and worth a shot I think. if your dog doesn't like it, add salmon oil or honey. If my dog had cancer I would try everything!! I don't think its a scam, as there is no one getting rich off of this, you get it from the grocery store. So sorry that your dog has cancer, that really sucks!!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kimber, Is that a GSP you've got there? Cute pup, whatever it is! :)

Thanks for the tip on cottage cheese and the FS oil; I will definitely look into it! I am up for trying anything; unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any effective chemotherapy for mammary cancer, so I'm relying on nutrition to keep us ahead of the "game."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, she's a GSP, she always tries to sit on my head to get my attention when I'm on the computer, such a character!!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scenthound, I couldn't find a Diamond Naturals Grain Free product on the company site. While they don't use wheat or corn, there's still a couple like barley and millet. Could you link to the product you use?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I use the lamb and rice formula. It may have the barley and Millet, I wasn't looking for that. My cleo got her mass cell tumors from eating Iams her whole life. Fish meal is the culprit in this form of cancer most of the time. I did some research and the fishmeal they use has cancer causing preservatives in it. Naturals has no cancer causeing substances in it. On a side note...Diamond does make ToTW also.

Also, Cleo was on drug therapy which cause her cancer to slow dramatrically. They put her on a steroid to attack the cancer. Some trials have been successful with that method.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I looked at the TOTW bag today and saw that it has ocean fish meal, which I thought I'd picked the formula that didn't include that. Darn it....

Yep, I knew that they were the same manufacturers and wonder if their sources are similar for the ingredients. Anyways, I will be more careful about the fishmeal... it's the ethoxyquin that is suspect and doesn't have to be listed on the bag. Now I've got to check which TOTW doesn't have fishmeal.

I'm glad you've had success with slowing down Cleo's cancer. I'll ask my vet if a steroid with be prudent at this time and with this type of cancer. I do have her on herbal anti-inflammatories, immune supporters, and some that are known for attacking cancer cells, as well as some antioxidants, fish oil and vit E.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Actually the fish meal in ToTW and Naturals is clean. They test it before using it, unlike others who just use whatever they get.

I had to take Cleo off the steroids for a bit because she developed cushings, but it was enough to help her. She is taking on my bloodhound in playtime now and she is a 13 In. Beagle, lol.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
For those of you who have dogs with cancer, what do you feed him/her?

As I understand, a low carb diet is best, so we changed one of our dog's to TOTW; however, even though it's grain free, I think it may still be high carb from fruits/veggies. (It's not primarily meat based like in
or Orijen.) What do you think? We'd been adding meats/eggs here and there, but should we make it more consistent to increase the protein to carb ratio?

Do you supplement with any herbs? I have been giving Morgan a small regimen, but as my vets are not the alternative/holistic sort, I haven't consulted with them. I've done some reading as far as the biochemistry goes and how they may interact combined goes, but it's a work in progress.
This article has some great info. You can hit the subjects and get more info on supplements and diet
DogAware.com Health: Cancer in Dogs

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Dawnben.

OT: I read last night that TOTW's ocean fish meal supplier changed this past spring to one that now uses a natural preservative and no more ethoxyquin. Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANK YOU Dawnben. (Again.) I will dig into that page this weekend; it's loaded with links that look helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kimber, Is that a GSP you've got there? Cute pup, whatever it is! :)

Thanks for the tip on cottage cheese and the FS oil; I will definitely look into it! I am up for trying anything; unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any effective chemotherapy for mammary cancer, so I'm relying on nutrition to keep us ahead of the "game."
I can also vouch for the cottage cheese/flaxseed oil combo! Developed by a cancer researcher in the 1950s. The anti-inflammatory effect shrinks tumors and makes a world of difference! There is a product formulated specifically for dogs called Buddy Custard that I recommend :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I’m not a doctor or vet in any shape or form but I do work at a holistic pet store and I do tons of training every week.

In my readings and own research, ideally raw and then freeze dried for a dog with cancer. Yes, it is important to have high protein and low carb. Moisture too is very important! If possible, I would do a dehydrated if not FD or raw (like honest kitchens grain free recipe).
Kibbles that are high protein and low in carb include Orijen, Acana grain free, Essence, Farmina Prime, and Zignature.

You can always calculate the carbs in a dog food by taking 100, minus 6 for ash (vitamins and mineral sprayed on), and subtract everything else in the guaranteed analysis. This will be you the percent carbs in the bag.

CBD (full spectrum) has been known to help with inflammation, anxiety, increase appetite, and more. It has shown promising results for animals with cancer too, however, they are still researching it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts