Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote earlier about my rescue husky that I adopted about 4 months ago. We were treated for a urinary infection and went through the antibiotics this week. She had a bad night last night and I took her to the vet this morning. Long story short, they found a large mass in her chest. There were also dark areas in her liver area, but they aren't sure if that is just her or if the cancer has spread.

I feel like this happened so suddenly. She had a weird couple weeks where she off and on acted funny (lethargic, didn't want to eat) and after last night she can barely walk, won't eat at all, and is barely responsive.

The vet did refer me to a chemo center and an ultrasound if I want to take that route. I am completely willing to do anything that might do her good.

She is ~8 years old and I've only had her for 4 months. She was in a very abusive situation before I got her and it devastates me that she might only have a short time for a good life.

Does anyone have suggestions? optimistic words? realistic expectations? I still plan on calling every vet under the sun that will help me out on Monday, but I was hoping for some words from experience perhaps.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about your dog's diagnosis. The oncologist should be able to give you some idea on the prognosis depending on what exactly the mass is. My Jack Russell went through 7 months of chemo for bladder cancer. It was never going to cure him. His prognosis, with treatment, was 6-7 months. He was eleven when diagnosed and lived six months after his initial diagnosis. Hardest thing I've even been through. I don't know if I'd make the same choices if I could go back.

I really feel for you and don't really have any advice other than enjoy each day.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am so sorry.

Our Lab was diagnosed with Lymphoma at 10 years. We did start him on steroids, and I would do it again. It gave us a few more months with him. However, it did change him a bit ... he was very hungry and could no longer control his bladder.

The best thing, and I know it's hard, try not to dwell on how much time. We never know how much time. I have a perfectly healthy puppy, but I know each breath is a gift from God, and Chase could be taken by this cruel earth at any time.

One of my biggest regrets ... my precious gelding Rusty was failing. And as I watched him fade, I spent less and less time with him. It was hard for me ... I was always waiting for him to leave me, bracing myself. Now I wish I would have just been there more ... enjoyed him more.

Enjoy your dog. And I will pray for him. <3

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

I lost my Shar Pei almost one year ago to intestinal cancer. Operation after initial diagnosis gave him about 7 months of high quality life, when he went ill again it was practically over night and he went down very fast. I consider myself (and him) lucky since there was so little pain and suffering involved - really only the last two days. We used those last 6 months of his life well, I was with him 24x7 and lots of hiking,adventures and good food.
If the option would have been chemo and/or a long drawn out decline, I might have chosen differently.
Enjoy each day, focus on what you can do to make your dog happy and do not torture yourself with the "how long" question.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Cancer and facing the possibility of a sooner death than you expected can be so hard. Be at peace with the fact that the last days (or months or years) of her life will be spent in a happy, loving home, rather than her previous home.

·
Super Moderator
3,794 Posts
Rainedbows,

My heart goes out to you. That's devastating news. If surgery can remove a self-contained tumor, then I would advise going ahead. However, if the cancer has spread, I would not put her through chemotherapy. Like those who have posted above me, my hope is that you can focus on the quality of her life, not the quantity.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the replies! I don't know why stories that didn't end happily still help, maybe because these guys had so much love in the end.

Tali just got sick and it had a handful of kibble that she ate yesterday, so I guess she didn't even digest it. I did gently force feed some soft cat food - which came up as well. I'm sure her prednisone was in there as well :(

I just feel terrible because she can't get comfortable and is miserable. It all happened today and I have to wait until Monday to get any vet help. Thank you all for you help!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after a long and scary weekend we were able to get an ultrasound on my sweet girl. Unfortunately, it was found that she has cancer in her liver, spleen and lung. These cancers spread quickly, so unfortunately or fortunately, it hits fast and doesn't linger. There is nothing further they can do to treat her except spoiling her for the next hours, days, weeks or whatever we get until she lets me know it's time. She was given fluid prior to the ultrasound (the clavamox and prednisone made her sick and couldn't keep water down) and she is feeling better and very alert.

Four months wasn't enough time with this beautiful dog. It pains me to know that her short life was full of pain and sadness, but even through all this I can see happiness in her face and loved beyond belief. I won't keep her for a moment longer than her body wants me to, but I will be overjoyed for every minute I get.

Thank you everyone for your words of support and advice. It really means a lot.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm sorry about your bad news.Maybe it would be worth your time to see another vet or the oncologist to see if there are options,maybe even a second opinion.Maybe they can safely remove the tumor and he'll be okay.So sad to hear things like this,especially since he's getting a second chance.I sure hope everything works out well in the end.I would seek another opinion,it can't hurt.Good luck with him,I'll keep you in my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm sorry that the prognosis is so bad. I know it's not much comfort but she doesn't look back at what happened before you gave her a loving home. She only knows that she's loved now and will be until the end.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have read, and believe that dogs live in the moment, so give your pup lots of love and enjoyment while you can.. When it's time to let go, you will know. I lost my beloved Tamarin last May, and as much as it hurts, I gave him a peaceful painless escape from the pain, which would have gotten worse every day. The best and final loving gift to your beloved fur baby. God bless.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Cancer and facing the possibility of a sooner death than you expected can be so hard. Be at peace with the fact that the last days (or months or years) of her life will be spent in a happy, loving home, rather than her previous home.
I can only echo this sentiment, so very sorry for you & your beautiful baby. I lost my last rescue dog to illness after having her for just 4 years, we had hoped for many more happy years with her, but it was not to be. I comforted myself by knowing she had the best life ever with us. :huddle: to you x

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I am so sorry and wish y'all had received better news. I'm just happy that she ended up with you and that the time she has now is filled with love and happiness rather then the abuse that she used to suffer. Thank you for taking her on and not giving up on her when it turned out that she was in ill health.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts