Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be meeting this handsome guy soon. According to the rescue he is a Leonberger mix. Someone else said he looks more like an Estrela Mountain Dog mix, which I totally see.
What do you think? Do you agree he is mixed with one of those breeds? What else do you think he's mixed with?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Deffinitly some kind of shepherd mix. Depending on were you live a leonberger or leonberger mix is going to be on the less common side and a estrela mountain dog or a mix there of probably even less common. I'm leaning more towards a german shepherd dog mix with something a bit bulkier. Leonberger could be a possibility some were in there. But it will probably be easier to tell as he grows and his features settle and change and fills out.
Verry cute though

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd agree, there's definitely some shepherd in there, and given the bulk and coloring I'd guess German Shepherd over another kind of shepherd.

It's not impossible there's Leonberger in him, but they do tend to be a fairly rare breed with a lower population in the US. To me, he looks a little lithe/slim to be mixed predominantly with Leonberger- they tend to be bulky dogs even at a young age. Some shelters do give dogs more exotic mixes to make them more adoptable/desirable, so that is something to keep in mind. That said, depending on where you are, it's possible Leonbergers are less uncommon.

I could believe Golden given the coat length. Possibly some kind of Spaniel mixed in there.

I wouldn't make the decision to adopt based on breed, though. If memory serves right this guy is a little older, correct? Like 7-10 month range? If he's that old, he's likely to be starting to show more of his adult-y temperament, so you'll be able to make a more informed decision with energy level, size, behavioral challenges he may have as to whether he'd be a good fit in your home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.