Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can you tell this dog breed ?
I am from India, and its sure this is a mix. But it 99% resembles black white Basenji dog.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Without seeing the tail it's hard to say if it is basenji or not. I don't see the face wrinkles, either, but not all basenji mixes will have them in a prominent way.
To be honest, this dog could be any number of things from terriers to collies mixed together. More photos and an indication of size would help.

Whatever this dog is, the dog is good looking in my opinion.

·
Banned
385 Posts
I agree with Madra. It could even be a basenji mixed with terrier or collie.

I would look more at the personality and other traits for identification. The look gives you an idea of potential breeds, but then start to compare the personality to the breeds and see if any stand out.

For example, my Bat-dog kind of looked like there could be beagle in her, but it could have been a ton of other breeds also. However, she did the beagle "talking" and that clarified things.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is a neat application for iPads if you have one. The application is called Dog Scanner.

All one had to do is submit a photograph of their for to the application. Then shortly your dog breed is revealed.

The application is free.

Here is a example of my dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
385 Posts
That app only considers the appearance of the dog. Which is not that effective.

Put this photo through it and tell me what it comes out as. I'll tell you how wrong it was.

Reactions: LMMB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. Her traits are very similar to a Basenji. She can't fully bark. She yoodles like a basenji and has a crying like tone most of the time. But yeah, sometimes she barks just like other dogs in India.

This is her tail, she is sleeping but when she is playing it just curls up in a round shape.

Also, she is super fast, beats a german shepherd and Indian long hound when running.

PS: I rescued her as a pup, she had parvo at 1.5 months. She is 6 months old now and is super healthy.

Attachments

·
Banned
385 Posts
If he yodels, then that's a pretty clear. Some basenjis will make a single bark.

Look for traits you don't see in a basenji to identify if there might be anything else in him.

Remember some mixes will look like some of its breeds and act like others. If you don't notice any non-basenji traits, then I think you can safely say he's all basenji without people disagreeing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If he yodels, then that's a pretty clear. Some basenjis will make a single bark.

Look for traits you don't see in a basenji to identify if there might be anything else in him.

Remember some mixes will look like some of its breeds and act like others. If you don't notice any non-basenji traits, then I think you can safely say he's all basenji without people disagreeing.
The only nom basenji trait is her violent bark. She barks once, waits for a second or two then barks again. She is very violent to suspected intruders, even though she is small but she can scare shit out of anyone.

If I see basenji is african native breed and I am from India, and animal trade in early 19th century was common between africa and India. Moreover, indigenous people from India, Dravidians were known to tame Basenjis for hunt.

She is mix with Indian Pye dog , but the basenji traits are dominant in her. She is blazing fast, loves to chase down targets and aswell as she is not obedient enough. Sometimes she thinks before obeying to me, like if its worth it or not.

And yeah she yodles a lot, thats something I never see in other dogs.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wouldn't know haven't seen the breed before looks rare.

·
Administrator
1,154 Posts
To me, she looks like she could be a sighthound cross, what we in the UK call a lurcher. That also fits with the "lightning fast" speed as the sighthounds are bred for the chase.

My guess would be a greyhound or whippet cross, perhaps with a basenji.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wouldn't know haven't seen the breed before looks rare.
Not a rare breed, but a mixed breed as others are saying. The yodeling definitely sounds basenji, and the fast run and agility and tendency to ignore you are all sighthound traits (although the latter is in large part a matter of training......sighthounds can just be a little harder to train than more biddable dogs).
Basenji and something else is my best guess. Don't know Indian Pie Dog so looked it up. That looks likely as part of the mix.

You can counteract her tendency to ignore you by rewarding her in a big way when she does obey. Use very high value treats as rewards (something she really really likes) in small pieces so she wants more.
Or if she loves a toy or to tug or fetch you can use those things as a reward as well. And remember, any time you call her and she comes you reward her heavily with lots of praise and good things.

Don't ever call her to you and then make all the fun stop, and don't call her to you and then scold or punish her for something she was doing. (In fact, don't scold or punish her at all. There are vastly better ways to train dogs).

·
Registered
Gary - Purebred Mutt
232 Posts
I will be quite interested to see what type breed(s) are in her. I haven't see any dogs that looks like her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will be quite interested to see what type breed(s) are in her. I haven't see any dogs that looks like her.
You will find a lot like her in India and the subcontinet. This is due to the natural selection process, unlike purposely bred dogs in west, here in our part of the world, the dogs are carved out of natural selection. This is why the Indog/ Indian pye dog is the oldest dog in the world with a pure gene pool.

But the dog that I have is actually born due to mix breeding in a lot of breeds. Its been a while and I forgot to update here, but the dna was mostly the pye dog, African basenji, yorkshire terrier, where the traits of basenji are dominant(57%) that is why its better to call her a basenji.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you guys look forward to own Indian breeds, checkout Indog, Rajapallayam, Kanni, Bully Kutta and my favorit the Gaddi kutta. Gaddi requires cold weather like huskies so I can't own one since I am in hotter region of India. Gaddi is a famous sheep dog, extremely protective of young children and their owners. Here is a pic :

1 - 20 of 20 Posts