Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im currently looking for a puppy and i have my heart set on this little guy. (photo attached) 12939562_10154037038203058_1989985034_n.jpg

I don't want a giant dog but i have no idea about dog breeds and no clue how big this puppy will be. I only know he is a Kelpie cross AND i have a photo of the mother/father. (photos attached)

$_20.JPG
$_20 (1).JPG

Would anyone have any idea of the following:

1)Will this puppy be huge? medium? what do you think?
2) What breeds do you think the parents are?
3) In general, is there any way at all to guess how big a puppy will become? (im meeting him in 2 days and am wondering if there are any signs i should look for)

Thank you to anyone who replies :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Both those parents look to be mutts (maybe have some GSD, maybe some lab, wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of sighthound in their as well bc of their build). I don't really see any dominant breeds in them. The two of them look awfully similar in terms of build, head shape, coloring/markings- is it possible the two of them are related?

In terms of size they both look on the larger medium size height wise and look to be built pretty fine boned and tall. My guess is the pup would end up around their size, but with mutts you never know. His paws do look pretty big, though it could just be the perspective of the picture.

Is there a specific reason you want this pup?

I personally would be very weary- it stinks of someone's unaltered sibling dogs breeding accidentally to me, or someone wanting to experience 'the miracle of life'. I would highly doubt any health testing has been done, and if any has been my guess would be nothing more than a general wellness check which tells next to nothing about the genetic health of a dog or suitability for breeding. My personal feeling is the only reason to get a puppy from a breeder vs a rescue is to know genetic predisposition for temperament, energy level, looks to a very small extent, and above all health (especially hips, elbows and eyes, plus other common congenital diseases). With these puppies you will be getting a very small amount of information on parent's looks and temperament if you meet them, but not enough to be useful.

By all means get the dog you want, but do consider whether you buying this puppy will make it more likely for these people to produce another litter in the future or justify breeding siblings again.

Note: I am not villifying inbreeding in and of itself, because it is a useful tool in animal breeding in order to isolate wanted traits, but there is 0 reason to breed 2 sibling mutts of unknown background together; that breeding will only make it more likely any genetic issues with health and temperament will be amplified.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts