Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has manged to find a way to teach their dogs to wipe their mouths after drinking?

Our silly lab will dribble all over the floor after drinking. At first we were afraid it was pee until we figured it out lol. I wonder if it's the loose lips or a puppy thing. He likes to come over and put his head on your lap until you pet him. The big puppy eyes are so cute, the wet spot on your pants is less so. It's not a big thing by any means, but it would be a cool trick to teach a dog...I would love to show off how well mannered he is by having him wipe his mouth after eating, I know everyone would get a kick out of it, or atleast I would lol.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yes you can. if you wish.
Clicker train him, to wipe on a cloth put near the water bowl.
However, im not sure how effective this would be, as the water drools out the side of the lips where the seal is lose.
so he'd have to wipe on the sides.

If you want an easy fix:
put the water bowl outside, by the time the dog has gotten to you inside, most of water if not all, has dripped over your floor on the way to say hi to you.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
I've never taught it, but I don't see any reason it couldn't be done!:)

Do you clicker train?
Are you familiar with shaping?
And does your dog already know how to target objects with his nose?

Targeting a towel would be your starting point. From there you could shape him to rub his muzzle on the towel.:)

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Ditto above.

I just had to share that two of our setters are natural clean freaks. :) After every meal (and usually after drinking) they politely wipe their faces on our [white] carpets. At first, we were cringing... (thanks for dirtying our carpet, kids), but it is pretty entertaining. So we let them clean their faces.... :D

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
With the Goldens I just made sure to always have hand towels strategically placed so to be prepared. They did however use the floor or couch. The Giant Schnauzers were the worst though. They would come running with a beard full of water. They required a good towel drying..:) I wonder if teaching them to grab a towel after drinking would dry their face off...:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts