Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Me and my boyfriend rescued a 1 year old pittie about a year ago and have struggled socializing him with other dogs. Kona (the pittie) is 2 years old now and cannot be around other dogs without severe anxiety. We worry about taking him to a dog park because he is aggressive meeting other dogs on a leash and we honestly don't know what might happen off the leash. God forbid Kona get hurt or he hurt another dog. He has two doggie friends (my parents' dogs) who he met off the leash in the backyard but was very aggressive when meeting them on a leash. He is fine with my parent's dogs now and loves to play with them but these are the only dogs he is OK with.
We walk him everyday and want to take him to more social places with us (where other dogs may be).

Is there anyway we can socialize him better?

Reduce his anxiety?

Is it even possible to socialize a dog already stuck in his ways?

Please help!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
it depends on the dog.
a lot of dogs show leash aggression poor leash frustration and it does not always mean that the dog is really agressive.
If he's okay with certain dogs when of leash already and not hating other dogs in general, I think it can be done.
I'd recommend asking a trainer to help you with that. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
id get a muzzle for when walking him, just in case. there is now shame in that for now, you are just being cautious. i think the worst thing you can do in the situation is not take the dog to the park, out of fear what the dog might do, or what might happen. let him watch other dogs from far away, without pushing him, and go from there. if you dont feel confident to handle the situation, i agree its best to have a trainer present, or someone experienced with strong dogs.
he got used to your parents dogs, so you know its possible, just dont push your dog.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hmm it is possible but it is something that will take time and patience. Your dog might not ever be a dog that loves every dog they meet but you could at least help them feel less anxious around them.
I would definitely recommend finding a trainer to to help you out :) http://www.dogforum.com/training-be...ainer-behavior-consultant-behaviorist-113946/
If you enjoy reading you will probably find some of the books on this sticky helpful http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/comprehensive-book-list-115977/

I would also recommenced checking out these
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/calming-signals-10084/
http://www.dogforum.com/training-be...y-leash-aggression-barrier-frustration-12538/

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Find a dog daycare or socialized kennel with an excellent reputation. They observe and supervise interaction everyday and their livelihood depends on safety.
A good daycare will first "test" your dogs behaviour. If he passes, spend some money give your dog professional supervised play dates. Be honest about your concerns & dogs behaviour.
Please don't take a dog your not sure of to a dog park. People are counting on you to show good judgement for the safety of all.
Dogs that are Pita's on leash can be just fine in play groups, and sometimes it just depends on finding compatable groups. Some dogs should never be a in play group. Some dogs don't like other dogs and don't need to be with them. You can be his best friend with training, exercise and active play (tug, fetch, training games, tricks, running, mutual doggie/human fun)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Find a dog daycare or socialized kennel with an excellent reputation. They observe and supervise interaction everyday and their livelihood depends on safety.
A good daycare will first "test" your dogs behaviour. If he passes, spend some money give your dog professional supervised play dates. Be honest about your concerns & dogs behaviour.
Please don't take a dog your not sure of to a dog park. People are counting on you to show good judgement for the safety of all.
Dogs that are Pita's on leash can be just fine in play groups, and sometimes it just depends on finding compatable groups. Some dogs should never be a in play group. Some dogs don't like other dogs and don't need to be with them. You can be his best friend with training, exercise and active play (tug, fetch, training games, tricks, running, mutual doggie/human fun)
i totally disagree with this, subjecting a dog like that to daycare, is the worst you can do.
plus you shouldnt play games with it like tug. i know this dog is submissive but still.
whats the harm of taking it to the park in a muzzle if it cant hurt anyone? its better than confronting it with strange humans and dogs in daycare, in a much more confined space.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Tugging has nothing to do with dominance - it can be a great way to build drive and/or confidence.

OP, if you can find a reliable (positive!!) trainer or behaviorist I'd have him evaluated. Sometimes pitties aren't great with other dogs, and being terriers sometimes they can have a higher prey drive and see smaller dogs as targets. Or, your dog could just be afraid and socially awkward. Really, a pro that can see your dog in person can best make that distinction and help you devise a behavior plan. Many also have bombproof dogs of their own to help work on reactivity.

For now, I'd say away from the dog park. Even muzzled, any bad experiences where you dog is afraid will become memories and work against you. Plus, if your dog is allowed to practice reactive behaviors they will become more of a habit. So, take a break and see if you can have someone take a look at him.

Best of luck with your pup :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
you are not reading what im saying. i said take it to the park, and let it watch other dogs from far away. i would only advice against this if op cant control the dog or hold it if it wants to bolt.
and tugging has to do with dominance, in my oppinion.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Thousands of police dogs, sniffer dogs, MWD etc are trained every year using tug as a reward. Tug builds drive and can build confidence. Millions of owners across the planet including myself and many on this forum use tug with our dogs, their not trying to dominate us.

Back to the OP a trainer would be a good idea, just so you can better understand how your dog really feels about other dogs. After a session they'll hopefully be able to give you some tips/information/techniques to work on his aggression/anxiety and get him to a point where he isn't reacting on lead. This will hopefully set you up for being able to introduce him to other dogs and have play dates.

However this does depend on what the trainer suggests, use the links above to find a good one in your area and I wish you luck with your pup :)

Reactions: PoppyKenna

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thousands of police dogs, sniffer dogs, MWD etc are trained every year using tug as a reward.
you said it right there, what are these dogs used for? they are working dogs.

i dont think being attached to a lead is the problem...its the dog having humans or other dogs in his face

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
you said it right there, what are these dogs used for? they are working dogs.

i dont think being attached to a lead is the problem...its the dog having humans or other dogs in his face
What difference does it make if they are working dogs?

·
Registered
285 Posts
sorry, working dogs, stand guard, catch criminals, sniff out illegal substances.
a family dog, is a member of the pack, its supposed to blend in.
Working dogs are supposed to have drive, to do the task, they are trained to do.
a member of the pack, is an equal, there should be no competition, in order for peace in the house (den). @BusterBCsMum

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@Arwen But when a working dog isn't working...they are your pet. I don't think dogs recognize when they are "on the clock". So are you saying you can only tug with your dog as a reward when they are working? Does agility training count as work?

I actually think tug is one of the best ways to teach your dog an off-switch, and is fantastic for teaching the "off/drop it" cue.

·
Registered
285 Posts
no the dog dosnt recognise it, because it has been trained to do a special task.
it hasnt the mental capacity to recognise when it is on and off duty.
i would certainly be more cautious, if i adopted a dog, knowing it has come out of military or police service.

·
Registered
285 Posts
and no agility training is fun, because it is something you the owner wants to teach the dog. its not productive, it just shows you have your dog under control.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
sorry, working dogs, stand guard, catch criminals, sniff out illegal substances.
a family dog, is a member of the pack, its supposed to blend in.
Working dogs are supposed to have drive, to do the task, they are trained to do.
a member of the pack, is an equal, there should be no competition, in order for peace in the house (den). @BusterBCsMum
So I don't have peace in my house if I play tug with my dog? We play tug daily, trainers all round the world train pet dogs using tug and it works.

Plenty of working dogs live in a home with their families, play tug, sleep in their owners beds etc.

Humans aren't dogs and dogs know that, they don't see us as dogs - because it's as simple as that we aren't dogs.

I'm gonna leave it there cause I could talk all day and still not get the facts across, apologies to Admin and the OP for inadvertently taking over this thread, I've been here long enough I should know better.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
The best thing to do would be to have a professional evaluate him. They can tell you more accurately if what you're seeing is barrier frustration, anxiety, or aggression.

It could just be that he's not a social butterfly (and some dogs just aren't, and there's nothing wrong with that!) My parent's late dog was part Pit, and she was very sweet with us, but did not like other dogs at all.

Reactions: BusterBCsMum
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.