Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Japanese chin puppy with a very small umbilical hernia and would like to know if we can still show him or if it is a disqualification or deduction to have the hernia. thanks john

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Hi John,

Not sure if there is a rule against it, but would think there would be deductions. Umbilical hernias have a genetic component, so it seems like that would be a detriment to scoring in a show, if the point of the show is to find the best/healthiest dogs for breeding.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
it is against AKC to show a dog who has had umbilical hernia repair. best option is get your dog neutered and have the hernia fixed at the same time as he is not of breeding quality because of the hernia anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with the above posters.

Also, just because a dog is pure bred does not mean it is show quailty. If you bought the dog as a show dog, ask your breeder what you should do in the case of a hernia.

If you did not buy the dog to show, you can still bring it to a show. However, there is alot more to handling a dog in the show ring then what it actually looks on TV, and you should not expect to win.

I realize this sounds harsh, but that is the reality of it. Showing can be an expensive hobby and the judges will be looking for things that most pet owners don't consider when purchasing a dog, unless the dog was also purchased as a show prospect.

My suggestion is to neuter/spay your pet and enjoy him or her.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's what my mentor said on the subject:

Not true. If it's a true umbilical hernia (not all are) it's a genetic defect, and especially if it's been repaired surgically, according to AKC rules, it should not be shown. There is another thing that people call a hernia that is just a space that the umbilicus goes in and out of. It usually closes on it's own. But that is not a true hernia.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Isn't a true umbilical hernia the result of the mother dog biting the umbilical cord too close to the puppy or pulling on the cord? This wouldn't be genetic and I wouldn't expect you'd be DQ'd for it.

Sounds like your mentor is ill-informed and probably shouldn't be showing, Cardigirl.

If you read the .pdf that stephanie posted, in chapter 11, section 8, number 8, it clearly states any other hernia repair is grounds for a DQ, but NOT an umbilical hernia. ;)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Isn't a true umbilical hernia the result of the mother dog biting the umbilical cord too close to the puppy or pulling on the cord? This wouldn't be genetic and I wouldn't expect you'd be DQ'd for it.

Sounds like your mentor is ill-informed and probably shouldn't be showing, Cardigirl.

If you read the .pdf that stephanie posted, in chapter 11, section 8, number 8, it clearly states any other hernia repair is grounds for a DQ, but NOT an umbilical hernia. ;)
Oh my now... let's be gentle with each other! :eek:

The topic is certainly heavily debated, but here is considerable evidence that the majority of UH's have genetic components.

You can google it: Google

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think the OP should just discuss this with the breeder they purchased from. Umbilical hernias are not a DQ, even if they are repaired. I would hate to tell someone to alter their dog and destroy a promising show career.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@ DJEtzel- No offense taken by your poor attitude. It reflects only on you, as I have no problem being corrected. I like to learn new things, and that's why I'm here in the first place.

There was no need for the sarcasm. As for my mentor, she may not be correct in this, but I think its rather silly that you say she shouldn't be showing. Then again, I think you were looking to illicit a reaction from me, and bring me down to your level. You won't get that from me, sorry to tell you. Truthfully, I'm giving you too much credit by even responding at all to what you said.

Hernias do have a genetic component and I think that's what she was getting at.

I personally would not show a dog who had a hernia, but I do know dogs who have been shown with having the surgery now that I think of it. I'm not sure if the judges or anyone else was aware of the surgery, though.

Showing and breeding aren't the same thing, and not all dogs that are shown are ever bred. I personally would never breed a dog who had a surgery to correct a hernia, but I know that not everyone would eliminate an otherwise worth dog because of that.

What I have learned is that its important to at least ascertain the type and cause of the hernia before making a judgment on whether to show.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I am confused, if it was an issue caused by the mother not a genetic defect and its just a hernia why shouldn't it be shown? That would be like saying the dog cut his toe and cannot show because he has a scar on his foot.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I must be blind, but I can't find anywhere in the rule book where it states specifically that reparing an umillical hernia is allowed. Can someone please quote the rule book where it specifically states that it's allowed to show a dog with an umbilical hernia repair. They do list out some specific surgical procedures that are grounds for a DQ, but they also state that DQ's for surgial repairs aren't limmited to that list. In fact the rule book states that any dog that's changed in appearence, except as specified in the standard, is grounds for disqualification.

·
Banned
219 Posts
@ DJEtzel- No offense taken by your poor attitude. It reflects only on you, as I have no problem being corrected. I like to learn new things, and that's why I'm here in the first place.

There was no need for the sarcasm. As for my mentor, she may not be correct in this, but I think its rather silly that you say she shouldn't be showing. Then again, I think you were looking to illicit a reaction from me, and bring me down to your level. You won't get that from me, sorry to tell you. Truthfully, I'm giving you too much credit by even responding at all to what you said.
Uh, I wasn't being sarcastic anywhere I posted in this thread. If someone does not accurately know the rules of the venue they're showing, IMO, they shouldn't be showing. I wasn't trying to illicit anything from you, just putting my opinion out there.

Should a doctor perform surgery if he can't tell the spleen from the kidney?

Ive been wrong occasionally about training. Doesnt mean I should quit training dogs. Even experts can't get things right 100% of the time. ;)
Absolutely not, but giving someone blatantly wrong advice (after the correct advice was given by another trainer) would definitely make me think that trainer should think twice about training.

I must be blind, but I can't find anywhere in the rule book where it states specifically that reparing an umillical hernia is allowed. Can someone please quote the rule book where it specifically states that it's allowed to show a dog with an umbilical hernia repair. They do list out some specific surgical procedures that are grounds for a DQ, but they also state that DQ's for surgial repairs aren't limmited to that list. In fact the rule book states that any dog that's changed in appearence, except as specified in the standard, is grounds for disqualification.
They are not limited to the list, but there is the specific area where it lists all of the hernias that a dog cannot be shown with. Repaired or not. There would be no sense in listing every hernia except for one, and having that meet the same circumstances as the other. You can logically deduct that from reasoning. There is no part of the rule book that says that dogs with THIS THIS THIS.... are allowed. It just lists grounds for dismissal.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
So what is umbilical hernia?:confused:
Its when the place on the tummy where the umbilical cord comes out, has an opening in the abdominal wall. That is the muscle is not completed closed over around the belly button. So this can lead to little loop of intestine sort of protruding through this muscle layer and you would see / feel it under the skin as a soft sort of bump. Potentially this could lead to that loop of intestine being pinched off and losing blood supply, which of course would be a life threatening situation. A small UH is not usually a problem, but a larger one would need to be corrected through surgery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts