• Just one dog

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a planner...as in I plan years in advance (most of the time) sometimes I act impulsively but anyway, right now I am planning.
Currently I have two border collies ages 3 & 5 but I am really a better fit with toy breeds (under 10 pounds) so my next dog(s)
will be toys. The thing is I really want to adopt a shelter dog but have always had trouble getting the smaller dogs because rescues pull them so quickly!
Don't get me wrong I am glad people are helping but every time I have tried to adopt small shelter dogs in the past I have been told the dog is already claimed.
So should I when the time comes just buy from a breeder? Or what?
Also I want a cat but I'm not sure should I get two toy size dogs or one dog and one cat? (the cat would be a shelter cat)
I have a condition that makes me VERY fatigued and I get sick a lot, also I need a dog that will provide emotional support so...
if I did purchase a dog what breed would be best? :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd say go through a breeder. Adopting is great but sometimes can be more of a struggle than what it's worth. Small breeds go quick and you want to make sure you have the right pup for your needs. I prefer breeders over adoption, because I'm very specific on what I want. Also, because I have 3 young kids and I want to be sure of where the pup came from and the temperament.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is it possible to explain your interest of buying a smaller dog to the shelters? So they could contact you first whenever they get one. Or sign up on some sort of waiting list?

Are there other ways to buy a rehome-dog? Through a private person maybe?

You could of course choose to buy from a reputable breeder. There’s pros and cons to both options. However I wouldn’t say that it’s much easier to buy through a breeder since you need to do a whole lot of research before. And sometimes it’s difficult to find good breeders.

Regarding if you should get two dogs or just one and a cat is a question just you can answer. Two dogs is obviously double the work and money so that’s something to take in consideration. I would recommend to not decide yet. Get one dog first and then see how you feel about.

I would need some more information to suggest any breeds. What kind of energy and activity level are you looking for in a dog? What activities and exercise will you offer? How many and long walks? Other activities? What would a normal day for the dog look like? How much grooming are you able to do?

What characteristics and personality do you want in a dog? Very social/ reserved to strangers? Happy go lucky/ more serious, higher integrity? High trainability and handler focused, will to please? What about barking and prey drive? More independent or social and people oriented?

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
I'd recommend talking with the staff of your local shelter about how to best express interest in adopting a dog. At my local County of Los Angeles shelter, stray dogs without microchips are posted on the shelter's website and held for four days. Those with microchips are put on a 10-day hold while the shelter attempts to track down and contact the owner. While the dogs are "on hold," interested adopters can go to the shelter. The first person on the list has a CTA (commitment to adopt) while those on the waiting list are considered IPs (interested parties). Would-be adopters who just wait until the dogs become "available for adoption" after the end of their stray holds miss out. The CTA will have the first chance to adopt, but if the CTA doesn't show up within 24 hours, the shelter just goes down the list of IPs.

Adopting from a rescue group is not a bad thing. The rescue group will charge more, but many times, they will take care of "vetting" the dog (e.g. teeth cleaning and other vet care). Many rescue groups foster their dogs in home settings so you'll have a much better idea of the dog's behavior, and they will also generally take the dog back if it doesn't work out.

I have adopted both from public shelters and a rescue group. If and when I adopt again, I will most likely contact the rescue group from which I adopted my current dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sunflower, I would want the dog to follow me all over the house and sleep on my bed
most days there would be a 30 minute romp in the backyard and 30 minutes play and training indoors.
The pup needs to sit in my lap while I watch TV, he would get constant petting
obedience and trick training but for short periods of time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sunflower, I would want the dog to follow me all over the house and sleep on my bed
most days there would be a 30 minute romp in the backyard and 30 minutes play and training indoors.
The pup needs to sit in my lap while I watch TV, he would get constant petting
obedience and trick training but for short periods of time.
Okay to me that sounds like too little exercise and activity for a dog. Could you look over that and consider some more activities? Daily walks?

What’s the reason that the dog always needs to sit in your lap while watching tv? Is that a part of the emotional support? That’s something you probably have to train the dog on being used to and okay with. However it’s important that the dog have “off duty” time when they can do whatever they want and have some alone time if they want to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have two rescue Yorkies. One is 16 pounds and the other is 10 pounds. Both are great. I found them on Petfinder.com. It is true smaller dogs go faster but if you are patient you will find the right one for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts