Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a problem. I dislike my live in boyfriends dog. Only because he hurts me. He's a 70lb pitbull. Very loving. But he pushes me down the stairs. Throws me into walls. Stops in front of me and I trip. Today he slammed my leg into a wall because he follows me and has to get into a room before me. Iv tried spending more time with him in hopes I'd start liking him but it only makes it worse. Does anyone know anything I could do to help me start liking the dog? I'm open to anything right now. I'm at my wits end right now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds like he just needs some good ol' basic obedience training. :) Teaching him to sit/stay at the top of the stairs until you go down first, ditto going through doorways. Teaching him to walk next to you instead of in front of you, and to stop and sit when you stop will prevent him from stopping directly in front of you and tripping you.

There are oodles of resources for positive reinforcement methods of teaching sit/stay, heel, automatic sits and so on.

If he doesn't know "sit" already, I'd start there. Here's one way to teach it, using a treat to lure the dog into the right position.

While you're teaching that, you can teach him to sit and wait for you to give him permission to go through a doorway. Walk him around the house on a leash and every time you come to a doorway, ask him to sit (using a treat to lure him into position if necessary) and make him wait until you go through the doorway and tell him "ok" or whatever you want your release word to be. This is a really cool way to reinforce training because the reward for the dog is getting to do what he wants to do anyway. If he sits, he gets to follow you into the room. No sit, no follow until he does.

If he pulls a lot on a leash and is hard to control, you might want to look into getting a no-pull harness, or maybe your boyfriend can help. Is your boyfriend willing to work on training him? I hope he sees the need for his dog to be well trained, at least enough so that his dog doesn't keep accidentally hurting you.

Good luck, and have fun! Training a dog is an excellent way to form a closer relationship with him. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts