Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. I need to talk about poop for a moment here. :rolleyes:

One of my dogs had a digestive system problem (still not clearly diagnosed). She had diarrhea with blood in it, which prompted us to bring her to emergency.

It's better now. Her poop is back to being normally formed, but I'm not sure about the colour. It looks dark. I was wondering at first if she had digested blood in her poop, which would be cause for concern.

We switched her food to a gastro-friendly formula to help her symptoms.

Now, we have four dogs, and it's super tricky to give them all different diets… so we decided to let them all have the gastro food.

Funny thing. Now they ALL seem to have rather dark looking poop.

So now I'm wondering if it's just the food. Obviously, if it's blood, we need to keep trying to figure out what's going on here, even though the symptoms are getting better. But if it's just that this particular food makes darker poop, then I'd prefer not to spend two thousand dollars on an endoscopy!!

So… can anyone tell me what colour dog poop is really supposed to be??? Sorry, I think this sort of a ridiculous question, isn't it? ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dark stool can indicate it containing blood. I would probably err on the safe side and get stool samples to the veterinarian. I pet sit for a few dogs and cats who have Inflammatory Bowel as well as IBD and IBS. Let me tell you, it was scary the first time I walked into a house not being informed about the dog's condition and finding blood EVERYWHERE.

Dog feces can range in color depending on what the dog is eating and how quickly it is digesting the food. What food exactly are you feeding them? Low-quality foods can definitely cause GI problems.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
If the dogs on a raw diet and having red meat or organs that can cause that, otherwise blood indicates internal bleeding normally. Now what food are all the dogs eating brand name flavor etc please so we can help you. Not to judge you though some foods are really bad for dogs and we will let you know if it is or isnt one of those.

What food was the dog eating before also? this is defiently diet related from sound of things ( no im not a vet but my dog has diet issues and digestive issues as well as intolerances and allergies and so well educated)

Reactions: Lisa DogLover

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. :)

My dogs eat three meals a day, and we give them two meals of raw food and one of kibble (Acana) mixed with canned (Merrick's). All of these are high quality foods.

When one of the dogs got so sick, our vet recommended putting her on Royal Canin's gastro food temporarily until things settled. I really don't like Royal Canin's ingredient list but I decided to give it a try anyway because I was desperate for something that would help and she wasn't responding to the medicines she was prescribed. When she started eating that food, all the dogs started eating it with her.

That's when I noticed a lot of darker looking poop.

Yesterday night I mixed some Merrick's with the gastro so I can start switching them back to their regular diet. I noticed the bigger dogs have lighter poop this morning already. The one who has been sick had darker poop but the very end of it was lighter, as though the gastro food was just working its way out of her system a bit slower. I hope that's the case!

I actually lined up all the dog poops for inspection this morning so I could compare colours. Gag! The things we do for love, eh? :)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So one of my dogs is on royal canin's gastro food as well as of last month and while he doesn't have dark poop he is doing so much better than the previous gastro food I had been giving him for the previous 6 months. I think its a great food choice

The color difference probably stems from different ingredients based on location. For what it's worth my other puppy is on Royal Canin's Giant Puppy formula and her poop is very very dark almost black.

Is there a way you can feed separately? According to my vet gastro food isn't the best choice for dogs who could eat other formulations. Not to mention if prices are similar there as what they are here, it's probably not cheap.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I honestly hate prescription foods. Veterinarians are paid to shove them at patients.

As a side note, I doubt Merrick will remain high quality for long. Seeing as they were purchased by Purina. Likely going to get garbage quality of the same ingredients.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I honestly hate prescription foods. Veterinarians are paid to shove them at patients.

As a side note, I doubt Merrick will remain high quality for long. Seeing as they were purchased by Purina. Likely going to get garbage quality of the same ingredients.

I don't like the ingredients in Royal Canin's gastro food at all. And I did not know Merrick's was bought by Purina. So… what's a nice healthy canned food suitable for a pup who has tummy issues (potentially pancreatitis). I need low fat, low protein, but nutritious and yummy. Any have any ideas?

Thanks,
Lisa

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't like the ingredients in Royal Canin's gastro food at all. And I did not know Merrick's was bought by Purina. So… what's a nice healthy canned food suitable for a pup who has tummy issues (potentially pancreatitis). I need low fat, low protein, but nutritious and yummy. Any have any ideas?

Thanks,
Lisa
I totally just spent a good chunk of time looking up different canned foods, their ingredients, and their protein and fat analysis. I don't know which type of Merrick canned food you use, so I'm just listing the lower protein/fat content ones that I found with prices comparable to Merrick canned foods (based on quality, can size, and cans per pack).

8% protein, 8% fat
Wellness Complete Health in lamb/sweet potato - 12.5oz (12 pack) $29.15 ($2.43/can)

8% protein, 6% fat
4Health in salmon/potato - 13.2oz (single can) $0.83
Wellness 95% in salmon and beef - 13.2oz (12 pack) $35.14 ($2.93/can)
Wellness Core 95% in salmon/whitefish - 6oz (24 pack) $46.45 ($1.94/can)

8% protein, 5% fat
Wellness Complete Health in venison and duck - 12.5oz (12 pack) $31.07 ($2.59/can)

8% protein, 4% fat
Wellness Complete Health in whitefish/sweet potato - 12.5oz (12 pack) $29.53 ($2.46/can)
Zignature in duck - 13oz (12 pack) $34.09 ($2.84/can)

8% protein, 3% fat
TOTW in pacific, southwest, wetlands, high prairie, and sierra - 13.2oz (12 pack) $28.07 ($2.34/can)
Fromm Four Star Nutritionals in beef and pork - 13oz (12 pack) $46.99 ($3.92/can)

Hope this helps even a little bit...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I totally just spent a good chunk of time looking up different canned foods, their ingredients, and their protein and fat analysis. I don't know which type of Merrick canned food you use, so I'm just listing the lower protein/fat content ones that I found with prices comparable to Merrick canned foods (based on quality, can size, and cans per pack).

8% protein, 8% fat
Wellness Complete Health in lamb/sweet potato - 12.5oz (12 pack) $29.15 ($2.43/can)

8% protein, 6% fat
4Health in salmon/potato - 13.2oz (single can) $0.83
Wellness 95% in salmon and beef - 13.2oz (12 pack) $35.14 ($2.93/can)
Wellness Core 95% in salmon/whitefish - 6oz (24 pack) $46.45 ($1.94/can)

8% protein, 5% fat
Wellness Complete Health in venison and duck - 12.5oz (12 pack) $31.07 ($2.59/can)

8% protein, 4% fat
Wellness Complete Health in whitefish/sweet potato - 12.5oz (12 pack) $29.53 ($2.46/can)
Zignature in duck - 13oz (12 pack) $34.09 ($2.84/can)

8% protein, 3% fat
TOTW in pacific, southwest, wetlands, high prairie, and sierra - 13.2oz (12 pack) $28.07 ($2.34/can)
Fromm Four Star Nutritionals in beef and pork - 13oz (12 pack) $46.99 ($3.92/can)

Hope this helps even a little bit...

Fantastic information -- thank you soooo much! We used to feed Wellness cans at one point. Can't remember why we stopped. But sounds like it may be time to make a switch back! Lots of options here. I appreciate this enormously. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts