Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier that my 13 yr.old long haired toy chihuahua was losing her fur excessively prior to her spay. She had been a puppy mill breeder & came to us at 13 yrs.old. We were told she was spayed because of the csection scar felt by our vet...which was mistaken for a spay scar. She had a false pregnancy & then her fur started to fall out. After her spay, it was found she had cysts on her ovaries which can cause hair loss. She is on supplements to restore her fur to its luxurious state. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Anything that effects a dogs hormones can cause hair-loss. Ovarian cysts, while I don't know anything about them, may have messed with the hormones, as well as a false pregnancy. Other causes of hair-loss can be allergies, fleas or mange, and other factors.

Once her hormones stabilize and with the supplements she should get her fur back, however, some dogs grow in new fur differently then before. We've had dogs that got sores on their neck and then, once healed, grew in straighter, darker fur then before, so don't be surprised if something like that happens.

I'm glad you're helping that girl out! She's lucky to have you!! : )

·
Registered
713 Posts
Not sure what the timing was between her heat cycle and hair loss, but it's is normal and often expected for females to blow their coat ~2 months after a heat cycle because that would be the timing for them to whelp pups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts