Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a neutered dog should not have testicles, but I was wondering if there was any type of operation that can be done on a male dog in which he would keep them? My partner recently got an 18 month old Blue Heeler for free, because his old owners didn't want him anymore. They gave us his vet certificate, and on it it says he is desexed. However, the dog very clearly still has his balls. Were we given the wrong information, or is it possible that the dog had an internal operation such as getting his tubes tied?:confused:

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Agreed, they must have accidentally put that on there? I would just ask your vet...he should be able to feel around and even look for a scar from a past surgery

·
Registered
40 Posts
Neutering does not remove the testicles, this procedure though sometimes referred to as castration will cause the testicles to shrink up to the point on young dogs they will disappear. The actual removal of the testicles is called Castration. These are 2 different procedures meant to accomplish the same goal which is why so many are unaware they are in fact different procedures and why so many assume they are the same. If the remaining testicles are full or solid, chances are the dog has not been neutered or if it has, it was done just recently. This explains why the testicles may still appear. If the dog has been castrated, then no signs of the testies will be found.

http://www.dr-dan.com/newpage2.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information! He is due a vet appointment soon anyway so we'll be sure to ask.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Neutering and castration are definitely the same thing. (However, you can technically call a spay procedure a neuter as well, as the term neuter means to remove the gonads).

Here is the definition of the verb "to neuter" from dictionary.com:

"Veterinary Science. to spay or castrate (a dog, cat, etc.)."

When a dog is neutered/castrated the testicles are completely removed. It is not uncommon for a dog to have some swelling in the weeks following the surgery so that it looks like the scrotum still has testicles. Sometimes after the swelling goes down you can still see the scrotum but you should not be able to feel testicles there.

To answer your original question it is possible to do a vasectomy on a dog, but it just isn't done. To do this the ducts that carry sperm from the testicles are tied off (or part of is removed) so that no sperm can be produced. However, this procedure is rarely done in dogs. While castration stops a male dog from being able to produce puppies we also do it for many other reasons including avoiding prostate problems, avoiding testicular cancer and reducing aggression issues associated with testosterone. If a vasectomy was done those issues would still be present.

Another possibility is that your dog has been fitted with a product called neuticals, but this is unlikely. These are actually prosthetic testicles that are placed in the scrotum after the testicles are removed.

If the dog was neutered recently it is likely that there is still swelling there and when the swelling goes down he should look more like a neutered dog. If not, it's a good idea to have your vet check him out!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not testes, but perfectly normal = BULBIS GLANDIS

I believe what you may be actually seeing could be at the base of your dog's penis and not actually in the scrotum . . . two very hard, spherical shaped 'lumps' (for lack of a better word) that are not always visible, but only occasionally? Maybe more so when your dog is lying on his back & just woke up? Maybe excited - in the happy - sort of way?

If such is the case, what you are actually seeing is referred to as the dog's BULBIS GLANDIS.

Here is a great vet article explaining it further - should you be interested. So relax - everything is perfectly normal! :)

=================================================

The Bulbus Glandis
by Dr. Olson on April 28, 2009
I can always tell spring is coming by the increase in questions we field regarding reproduction. The breeding season elicits some practical and some curious questions. A common question involves the two round-shaped swellings at the base of a male dog’s penis--usually noticeable when they are on their backs, just roused from sleeping. No, your neutered dog did not regrow their testicles! Nor did the surgeon “miss a pair” or “forget” to actually remove them. This part of the male dog anatomy is called the bulbus glandis. It is part of the penis so it isn’t removed during castration. It is not involved in sperm production so your neutered dog can’t impregnate a female when the swelling is present. It is made up of erectile tissue which is why it noticeable some times and not at others. And no, if it is noticeable, it doesn’t mean your dog has his mind in the gutter--it is just part of their normal physiology. Its job is to serve as the “tie” during breeding, which is why some dogs are “locked” together for a brief time following a mating.
--Dr. Olson
---------------------
Dr. Olson practices small animal medicine in Denver, CO and is a regular contributor to Wag Reflex.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Not that it matters, but in the show world you can opt to have your dog get a vasectomy instead of being neutered. This does not remove the testosterone producing area inside the testicles and will keep the instinctive male pattern sex drive intact. And for many they believe this helps maintain a dog with more drive for field trials or active hunting but also prevents accidental breeding to avoid undesirable traits.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Not that it matters, but in the show world you can opt to have your dog get a vasectomy instead of being neutered. This does not remove the testosterone producing area inside the testicles and will keep the instinctive male pattern sex drive intact. And for many they believe this helps maintain a dog with more drive for field trials or active hunting but also prevents accidental breeding to avoid undesirable traits.

And it keeps everything intact and looking normal so you can still present the animal for conformation shows.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have heard of something on animal planet where you can have fake balls put in so that they look like they still have their "pride"

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Stef-your talking about neuticles! They're prostetic testicles -interestingly enough plastic surgery is becoming increasingly popular with dogs -and other animals too-show horses, especially studs are going under the knife!

I totally was horrified when I saw those glands-I thought the shelter had told me Mikey was neutered but he really wasn't. No laughing-I haven't had a male dog since I was five and didn't know what they were :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts