Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made (or at least attempted to make) a beef and gravy from a package of ground meat and turkey which was pre-packaged as such, about 2 lbs.I also used about 1 lb. of stew meat, slow-cooked it for about 7 hours on low. I stuck it in the fridge to cool so that the fat would solidify on top. I skimmed all that off, heated it and filtered it through a plain old-fashioned white cotton dishtowel.
After heating it to 170 deg I took a sip of it to see if it was too rich. Nope!!!! Tasted more like watered-down grease with a little beef flavor. Not too awful bad, but not sure I'd eat it just because of the taste. Any way to salvage this? Trying to save about $10 worth of meat and 9 hours work.
My chicken and gravy turned out great, but I guess I should have used all stew meat instead of trying to save a few precious bucks by adding the ground meat. A few bucks are hard to come by for me. Does anyone think maybe adding another pound of stew meat will solve the problem, or would I be wasting it?
I am an excellent cook; Asian, Middle East, French, Italian, not to mention my main food group: Pies, Cakes, Cookies, all that good(bad) stuff. But I'm at a loss here. Never had to try to salvage a screw-up this bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,589 Posts
I'd like to help but my cooking skills are legendary for the wrong reasons.

Last week, I started off trying to make meat balls. The mix was sloppy, so I added some flour. Then more. And more. After deciding I really couldn't put more than about 10 tablespoons in, I went to plan B - stick it in a loaf tin and make meat loaf.

It worked reasonably well until we tasted it.

And realised I'd been using icing sugar, not flour.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'd like to help but my cooking skills are legendary for the wrong reasons.

Last week, I started off trying to make meat balls. The mix was sloppy, so I added some flour. Then more. And more. After deciding I really couldn't put more than about 10 tablespoons in, I went to plan B - stick it in a loaf tin and make meat loaf.

It worked reasonably well until we tasted it.

And realised I'd been using icing sugar, not flour.

I know I shouldnt laugh but ...... :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As for the gravy.... I dont cook for my dogs they have raw . I think it would depend of the quality of the meat. But have you tried offering it to the dog ? After all they are the final critic...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts