Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog got a skin infection. Seemed to come on rapidly. When we noticed him biting at his leg, I turned him over and saw many red patches, etc. Took him to the Vet immediately and they cultured it. Definitely a skin infection. Vet put him on an antibiotic and prednisone. Also have to bathe him with a special shampoo twice a week for three weeks.

Just gave the last of the antibiotics yesterday and he only has a couple prednisone left. He does not have any visible red spots anymore, but he is still biting at spots on his legs that obviously itch badly.

Noticed when we walk through our lawn, our feet or shoes get covered with what looks like rust. Did some reading online tonight and found that it is a lawn fungus called "rust". Everything I have read is that dogs can spread the rust fungus around the lawn, but I can't find anything that says that the rust fungus can harm the dogs.

So, I am wondering of the rust fungus could have led to the skin infection. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
-Mike-

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Can't say I've heard of that happening to be honest.

How old is your dog? Is this the first skin infection? Has your dog scratched like this in the past at all? What are you feeding him?

It is possible that your dog has an underlying allergy (food or environmental) that is causing him to be itchy, and the excessive biting and scratching caused a secondary skin infection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Vet had name for the skin infection but I cannot remember it. It is bacterial. She said that this bacteria exists on all dogs, and something triggers it to go a little crazy. We don't know the trigger.

He has never had any skin issues before. Never any itching. No changes in his diet. I feed him Science Diet food. His weight is just about perfect according to the Vet. He is 5 years old.

When it first erupted, he had many raw red spots and pustules. I cannot see any pustules anymore. I can see a couple dried up spots of scabs where the red spots were. She said that they were very close to becoming hot spots when I brought him in. The rash spots seemed to have blossomed over a day or two at most.

He is in the weaning off the Prednisone stage right now. One every other day. On the days that he gets it, he does not itch. On the days he doesn't he chews at his legs, obviously trying to scratch itches. Gave him a hair cut today so I could see his skin better, and he looks good. It will also help me get the medicated shampoo down to his skin better.

Thanks for the response.
-Mike-

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
He likely had a staph skin infection.

I'd consider maybe doing a diet trial on him for food allergies. I'm highly suspicious this may be the problem. A diet trial would consist of picking a food with a novel protein source, something he's never eaten before. Lamb, Venison, Duck, Salmon tend to be good places to start. The most common allergens are chicken and beef, followed by dairy products and much less likely, grains. You'd feed the new diet exclusively for 6-8 weeks-- no table scraps, no treats, to see if the itching goes away.

If you don't want to do that, then you should bath his legs every single time he comes in from outside to get off whatever may be irritating him.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm... seems unlikely that he would suddenly be allergic to the food he has been eating since we got him. I like the suggestion about washing him off every time we bring him in. He seems to be improving quite a bit in the last couple days. Gave him a hair cut and it was much easier to get the shampoo down to his skin. Hopefully this will be behind us soon. Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Well, the thing about food allergies is that they pop up at any time after like 5-6 months old. My last dog was 7 years old before her food allergies popped up. He's had plenty of time to develop an allergy to the food by this point, so you should not rule it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Squishy,

Im new to this forum I found it while I was googling rust fungus. I am not sure if my first post went through so I am trying again sorry if this is a duplicate to you. Just wondering if you ever figured out what was going on with your dog cause I seem to be having the same issue now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts