Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my rescue dog for 7 years now. Because of serious health problems, I wasn't able to really put in the effort to potty train him, and I wasn't sure if I could anyway because my carpet already has a lot of accidents from previous dogs. (One became incontinent and the other saw him peeing everywhere and followed suit.)

He wears a diaper and I'm now able to put in the effort to potty train him, but can I -- when the carpet has a lot of urine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've had my rescue dog for 7 years now. Because of serious health problems, I wasn't able to really put in the effort to potty train him, and I wasn't sure if I could anyway because my carpet already has a lot of accidents from previous dogs. (One became incontinent and the other saw him peeing everywhere and followed suit.)

He wears a diaper and I'm now able to put in the effort to potty train him, but can I -- when the carpet has a lot of urine?

Thanks!
If you've lived in a place where this dog and multiple other dogs have peed on the carpet for seven years it is time to move.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@fallweather - Can you have it cleaned? As in a professional steam clean (I'm pretty sure you can also rent them...)? Even with that, I doubt the odors will ever be completely undetectable to a dog. Could you maybe tell your parents that from a health perspective they should probably look into replacing the carpet eventually. Then I would try treating him like a puppy; no unsupervised time, if you have to leave either crate him or put him in a room where you don't mind an accident. Huge party every time he potties outside, and ignore and immediately clean up accidents indoors with an enzyme cleaner.

Reactions: MollyDoggy

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not sure if it would still work on old stains or not, but you could try some carpet cleaning sprays that are made to kill the odors from pet urine. Just spray it everywhere and sop it up with towels after a few minutes. It will smell like carpet cleaner for a week or two, but it works well and not too bad a smell at all. I use one from the company "Resolve", which you can get in any grocery store I've been to. (In the US)

As for the house training, I'm honestly not sure how much of an impact the smells will have. But I'd say it really can't hurt at all to try it for a while.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Oh really? How judgmental. Can't we be nice on a DOG FORUM? Thanks.
My answer was in response to your question. At a certain point, if you look at home renovation forums, one actually may have to rip out the subfloor to remove the urine scent. Sometimes, especially if it is a rental, it may be easier and less expensive to move.
A subsequent post by you said it was your parent's home. I think the best thing for them to do is call in several professionals- both cleaning and carpet pros, and also some renovation people to see how extensive removing the urine scent will be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@fallweather - Can you have it cleaned? As in a professional steam clean (I'm pretty sure you can also rent them...)? Even with that, I doubt the odors will ever be completely undetectable to a dog. Could you maybe tell your parents that from a health perspective they should probably look into replacing the carpet eventually. Then I would try treating him like a puppy; no unsupervised time, if you have to leave either crate him or put him in a room where you don't mind an accident. Huge party every time he potties outside, and ignore and immediately clean up accidents indoors with an enzyme cleaner.
How much of the odor would a professional steam clean take out? I hadn't thought of the health perspective. I just googled and it said ammonia can be an irritant to the lungs.....

Thanks for your reply! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if it would still work on old stains or not, but you could try some carpet cleaning sprays that are made to kill the odors from pet urine. Just spray it everywhere and sop it up with towels after a few minutes. It will smell like carpet cleaner for a week or two, but it works well and not too bad a smell at all. I use one from the company "Resolve", which you can get in any grocery store I've been to. (In the US)

As for the house training, I'm honestly not sure how much of an impact the smells will have. But I'd say it really can't hurt at all to try it for a while.
Thanks. They're mostly old stains so I think I may have to call a professional steam cleaner to see what they can do.

And no, it really CAN hurt to try it! All that watching, waiting, crating, ....it gets exhausting! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts