Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum because I'm desperately looking for some help with my doggo situation.

I have a 14 year old female dachshund, Suki- sweetest old thing you ever did see. I got her when I was a teenager and she has been at my mom's house since. She used to be house-trained but has since moved outside. Now I am moving to a new home- not far- and have got the 'okay' from the vet to take her with me.

The problem is- my landlord has a beagle 10-month puppy (male) who has not been neutered, and he lives outside. I want to take her to my home where I can care for her and give her a good quality of life as well as keep an eye on her. However, I don't want her to stay outside as the male puppy will likely cause problems with her. She is a sweet old lady. This means I will need to house-train her once again so that she can live inside with me (I work mostly from home) and monitor her when she needs to be outside on potty breaks.

Is it possible to house-break her again? Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi all, I am new to the forum because I'm desperately looking for some help with my doggo situation.

I have a 14 year old female dachshund, Suki- sweetest old thing you ever did see. I got her when I was a teenager and she has been at my mom's house since. She used to be house-trained but has since moved outside. Now I am moving to a new home- not far- and have got the 'okay' from the vet to take her with me.

The problem is- my landlord has a beagle 10-month puppy (male) who has not been neutered, and he lives outside. I want to take her to my home where I can care for her and give her a good quality of life as well as keep an eye on her. However, I don't want her to stay outside as the male puppy will likely cause problems with her. She is a sweet old lady. This means I will need to house-train her once again so that she can live inside with me (I work mostly from home) and monitor her when she needs to be outside on potty breaks.

Is it possible to house-break her again? Any feedback is appreciated.
Hi

I've had several older dogs who have either lived on the streets or
lived outside in previous homes and I never had any problem with them. Just keep a close eye on her at first, you'll soon learn her signs of when she needs to go out. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Lynsey

·
Registered
179 Posts
If she was housetrained, it should be easy to re establish those rules. Teach her a cue for when she wants to go out - I have a bell at my door that they ring.

If she's incontinent, you can ask your vet about hormone treatment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts