Dog Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
The price difference is most likely due to health testing. Don't look at price alone- check out the breeder to make sure they're 100% reputable, but usually a good breeder's dogs are going to be more expensive. They put a lot of money into showing and health testing the parents, not to mention they tend to keep the pups longer (that's GOOD) so they feed more, generally feed a high quality food, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Just seen your post - they sure look like lovely dogs. I don't know of any breeders but have a look at The Kennel Club website - they do a 'find a puppy' service, but they obviously won't be rescue dogs! You could also try contacting the Havenese Club of Great Britain to see if they have a rescue service.

Be careful with some websites. One scam is, when you contact the 'owner', you will find they have suddenly moved to a way out place (Isle of Wight, Scotland etc) and won't be available for you to see the puppy (dying wife, very busy new job etc) but will very happily ship said puppy to you for the payment of a couple of hundrend pounds. Yeah, right. This may explain the price difference!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
as far as havanese go... i LOVE them. if i was going to own any small breed thats what i would get. ive said that for a long time now. they seem to be the most easy going happy little dogs. i know a few of them being that i work at a dog daycare and ive never seen one i didnt like. out of all of them ONE has an attitude, but its not towards people. its towards other dogs, and its not mean, shes just asserting herself because shes smaller than them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Could also have a look on Dogsblog (which has a cat friendly search function) and Dogpages both used by many independent rescues but not a full list by any means, but a lot of rescues now home a fair distance from their location or have fosterer's based all over. There are often pups available in rescue too if your after something to grow up around your other pets though some place don't like to home near xmas and probably be more come new year.

Many Tears & Little dog rescue

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have you tried any of these rescues? Dog Rescue Pages - UK dog rescue centres and welfare organisations

I prefer a dog from a shelter/rescue because these dogs never got much love, put into a shelter with no family to love them, may get put down if no one wants to love them. They have gone through so much, and it would be wonderful to save a poor animals life. There is a dog overpopulation, which makes it worse if people buy from a breeder. My next dog will be from my local dog rescue.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That quiz is weird.Did it and it threw me out everything.I said large dog,but it gave me chihuahuas and pugs,i said short coat but it gave me collies.
Wow - that IS weird. I think it may give you every dog but give a percentage of how close a fit it is to your criteria. So, perhaps the chihuahuas and pugs were very low percentage fits?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Doesn't make any sens to me :D If I said LARGE than I mean large,not something very small
Any way the quiz I gave is better,with easier questions and doesn't give all dog breeds,and breeds than definitely doesn't fit my criteria.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts