Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my boy DUKE (2yr old Pit Bull) spend alot of time running, skating, and biking. But his nails are getting way too stubby. I started keeping him in more, but i was wondering if anyones knows if its ok to give him biotin supplements to move the process along, and what is the proper amount ?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I can't answer you on that but there are nail caps you can put on your dog...not sure if it is just for looks or if they could have a function in a situation like yours.

·
Registered
829 Posts
i don't know about the safety of using the supplement in dogs but i can tell you that for humans, the supplement only works if there is a deficiency. there is no effect if b7 levels are normal.

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
i don't know about the safety of using the supplement in dogs but i can tell you that for humans, the supplement only works if there is a deficiency. there is no effect if b7 levels are normal.

Pretty much. B vitamins are water soluble. The body just washes out what it doesn't need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It is safe but will not help with the nails, as far as I know. The suggestion about the booties is a good one. You really should look into it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin. It is only used by the body if there is an actual deficiency. An excess amount will not affect in the liver or the kidneys any way, and will be eliminated with the urine. It would be much easier to give your dog a complete and balanced high quality dog food. I started using an Italian pet food called Forza10 Dermo Active. It contains natural plant extracts such as Aloe vera, Burdock, Mallow, Blackcurrant.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My aussie had softer foot pads, and I actually ended up taking her on an intense 6 mile hike on granite (I'm in Tahoe), in the baking sun, which she wasn't used to. Huge idiot move on my part. She burned her paw pads and I have learned my lesson. I got her some pretty sweet doggy booties. I think they're by ruff wear. The thing with dog booties is they are really difficult to get used to, depending on the dog. Roxie looked hilarious trying to walk around in them the first few days. I can imagine a dog getting sick of it and not having it though. Those nail caps are a good thing to look into. ;) Also, call your vet's office and see if they have any suggestions for you.

Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin. It is only used by the body if there is an actual deficiency. An excess amount will not affect in the liver or the kidneys any way, and will be eliminated with the urine. It would be much easier to give your dog a complete and balanced high quality dog food. I started using an Italian pet food called Forza10 Dermo Active. It contains natural plant extracts such as Aloe vera, Burdock, Mallow, Blackcurrant.
You'd think you'd at least pick a different username from the brand of dog food you are attempting to advertise. I read the ingredients, and "cereals" doesn't seem like a part of a balanced diet for dogs. Considering it's at the top of the list.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even more important than carbs in a pet food is the source of proteins: meat from factory farmed animals, which is used in many conventional pet foods, contains pharmecuetical residue. we found that this residue is the true cause of food intolerances and allergies in pets. We have helped many cats and dogs in Europe with FORZA10 Active.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts