Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new to the forum , i will be 16 next year and mum and dad have agreed we will get a puppy, i will be hopefully getting one next may when i leave school and have 4 months solid with it before college, mum and dad work and are home usually by 3, my mum starts at 10:30

we are interested in springer spaniels ,

we know all the comitments needed and long walks ect and are all clued up about house training ,

just wondering, whilst were out is it okay to crate a 6month old puppy for 4-5 hours as long as they are took out before and in the middle of the time in the crate?

we will be of course as soon as we get in stimulating the dog with training and things

thankyou :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou :D

yeh i know you can leave them upto 6 hours, but just wanted to check its okay,

how will i get it used to the crate for so long?

and also will it become sepearation anxiety?

·
Registered
5 Posts
why ask the same question on several different forums when lots of peopl have said that 4-5 hours is too long? and you didnt mention on this forum that you'd be keeping your dog in the garden :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
just a tip for when it does come to that time when you must leave your pup crated.... it is best not to make a fuss of him AT ALL when you crate and leave him... if you act like crating and leaving is the most normal thing in the world he will adjust quicker, however if you fuss over him saying 'oh goodbye be a good dog dont worry we will be back soon' it will create tension for him and he is more likely to find your absence more distressing

good luck :) and enjoy your new pup :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
why ask the same question on several different forums when lots of peopl have said that 4-5 hours is too long? and you didnt mention on this forum that you'd be keeping your dog in the garden :rolleyes:

how is 4-5 hours for a six month old too long? The dog is more than capable of holding his bladder that long at that age.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes maybe, but going by her 70+page thread on another forum there are many other factors to be considered. Like she mentioned keeping it in the garden for hours on end and sticking carpets rods to the top of her fence :confused:

Also when her brother is home he can let it out of its crate every now and then for the toilet, obviously planning on keeping it in the crate all day?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.