Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

One of my dogs' is getting a little older and I want him to be as healthy as possible.

I was wondering if I could start feeding him vegetables? :ponder:

Personally I have never heard of anyone doing it, and was wondering if anyone here has done it or is still doing it.

I also had a few questions.

1. Which vegetables did you use?
2. Did you notice a difference in their health?
3. How often did you feed them?

Thank you, :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
My dogs have always had little pieces of carrot and broccoli stalks. They love them. There are lots of veggie ingredients in prepared dog food as well. Be sure to avoid onion and grapes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Sally,

Yes, dogs can eat vegetables.

“I personally only feed my dogs vegetables as a healthy snack, never as a meal replacement.”

Dogs can’t load up on vegetables like humans can, its actually really bad if they do. Some people attempt to place their dogs on a vegetarian diet, and that never does the dog any good. It’s actually really harmful to them.

A dog's diet should contain a high amount of meat protein along with various vegetables.

You should NEVER place a dog on a vegetarian diet!

To Answer Your Questions:

Q: What vegetables did you use
A: I really enjoy giving my dogs carrots and green beans. One because they love them, and secondly because you can stuff them in kongs, or freeze them. Needless to say, they are very versatile

Q: Did you notice a difference in their health?
A: Yes, in some cases. I noticed skin and energy improvements in my dogs.

Q: How often can you feed them?
A: You can feed them daily as long as you are not going over 10% of their overall recommended food intake.

If you plan on using vegetables in your dogs’ diet, then make sure that you do not overload them. Dogs really don’t need that much to get all their nutrients in.

If you are concerned about your dogs' overall health and feel like better food is the answer then I would suggest you take a look at the dog food you are feeding them.

If you have them on high-quality dog food, then you will not need to worry about adding extra vegetables.

Here is a fantastic list of the top dog foods.
Best Dog Foods of ALL TIME You Should Be Feeding Your Dog

As a word of caution, not all vegetables are dog friendly.

Here is a list of the 10 best vegetables a dog can eat, and you can learn more about each one of them in detail at. What Vegetables Can Dogs Eat - Ultimate Guide

You can watch the YouTube version if you don’t feel like reading What Vegetables Can Dogs Eat - Ultimate Guide

1. Carrots
2. Brussels Sprouts
3. Sweet Potatoes
4. Green Beans
5. Pumpkin
6. Zucchini
7. Peas
8. Broccoli
9. Asparagus
10. Spinach

**Remember!**
Only feed your dogs vegetables in small amounts