Dog Forum banner

Can I breed my dog?

788 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mustluvdogs66 
#1 ·
When I bought my dog the breeder asked me if I was going to breed her. I told her that I was not. I have since changed my mind and would like to know if this is alright to do. She is registered with AKC and I didn't know if I can change my mind. The breeder marked something on her forms, but I'm not sure what it was.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Well lots of things go into breeding. What health tests has your dog had to prove she has healthy genetics to pass on to her pups? What titles has she gotten to prove that her genes are worthy of adding to the gene pool? Your breeder likely gave you limited registration for her, meaning her puppies cannot be registered and therefore are not considered “purebred.” I would absolutely get in touch with your breeder long before breeding her.

#6 ·
Im not sure if the the correct question is not can I breed my dog, because lets face it put two dogs together and very often the inevitable happens ..
The question should be 'should I breed my dog'

Apart from health which many have mentioned there are other considerations.
Her breed type is she likely to have problems giving birth
Are the pups of a breed that is desireable to good homes.
Are you willing to stand up and take responsibilty should owners want/need to return pups or if there are any genetic faults with the pups.

Breeding sound fun and the price of pups makes people think its could turn over a few $$ but in reality if you do it right the profit is minimal.. and I mean pocket money but the work involved is huge..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.