Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I think dogs see better than humans can at night.

But too, it depends upon the dog, it's breeding - that some probably see better at night than others can. Some dogs were bred as 'sight hounds'...probably used for daytime hunting...but still...good eye sight. Others were bred to sniff out things so their eye sight might not be as developed as other breeds. And I wouldn't be surprised if some dogs, like perhaps rat terriers and other dogs bred to hunt 'varmints' would have really good night vision as some of their prey would have been the kind that come out at night.

Stormy

Reactions: RC the Bandit Queen

·
Registered
368 Posts
IN almost all cases, dogs have far superior night vision than do people… they have mostly rods in their retinas, which are detectors of light (black and white)… we have mostly cones, which are great detectors of color, but not of light. I don't know exactly HOW MUCH better dogs see than we do in the dark, but it is substantial. That is one way you can tell if a dog is developing vision problems, that their night vision will be poor (perhaps still better than ours, but if not as good as ours, that is a potentially serious retinal problem).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Dogs see quite well at night, ever seen the shining eyes of an animal at night? Or noticed the demonic quality of your dog in that flash photo? Thats because of the tapeta lucida which reflects light back on the same path as it comes in and is one of the reasons for dogs excellent night vision.

Remember that dogs have a common ancestor with wild canines like wolves and coyotes which when the sun goes down and the longest lived reason for keeping dogs has been the protection of livestock from nocturnal predators.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts