Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was pretty interesting:

I went to visit family yesterday and got home after it was already dark. My partner was home with the dogs and they were all sleeping while he was watching tv on the couch. He said that Timber awoke from his nap and was anticipating me coming home and looking out the window waiting.

The interesting part is that Timber sensed my car even before you could see my headlights down the street. My car does not have a loud exhaust, I didn't have my music blasting, plus all the windows were closed in the house. He said this is not the 1st time Timber has done this.

Does anyone else's pets have a "6th" sense?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm pretty sure dogs have more senses than that! They can hear you and smell you from that far away. If not hear, definitely smell. Their senses are a heck of a lot stronger than ours, and can detect things we can't dream of doing.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I believe they have that sense. They're just more aware of it than we are.

All my dogs will head towards the door 20 mins before a family member comes home.

Amazing animals.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Possibly a sixth, and maybe even a seventh:)

My dachshund slept cuddled next to me from day 1. When I was going through a divorce (but still sharing a bed with the wife), the dog would definitely know if an argument was about to occur. Even before I did. He would jump off of the bed and go to the farthest corner of the house. He could in no way be coaxed to come back in bed, even though he had been there every night of his life.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
There was a study I once saw where a guy went to work after petting his golden. And just 5 minutes before he came home, he was searching and waiting at the door and then, the owner comes home and the owner greets him.

They decided that scent is probably something to do with it. So, they had him work out and have someone send his sweaty clothes home in a bag. The wife, took the clothes and lightly rubbed the scent on the couch, the chairs, the kitchen chairs and then threw it in the dirty laundry pile. (They decided to wait until he was halfway from getting off work.) The camera and the wife were observing and the golden, didn't even get up from it's bed, even after hubby came home and he petting him.

However, if you ask me, I think there is more to it then just realizing your smell is going away and your dog knows that you will be home soon because your smell is almost gone and that's when you usually get home.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My mother had a very strong connection with our family`s Pekingese Mooses (RIP little guy). MY mother used to work 160km from home for 5 years. She would come home every Friday evening and leave on Monday evening.

Mooses always knew when she was coming home. He`d sit/lay infront of the door roughly 30 min before Mom came home. We used him as a clock for estimating how far she was on the way.

Ella isn`t like that but she`s very good at recognizing human emotions. Better than me sometimes.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, those are some really interesting things dogs can do. I always wonder how they know. Another one of life's mysteries.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My dog that has since passed away started to stay very close to my dad, he barely ever left his side for two days which we all found very unusual because he wasn't that close with my dad, then my dad became really sick, like the next day and went to the hospital. I knew something was wrong when my dog started doing the same thing to my mom a couple weeks later. The day he did it, that night we got a call saying my dad passed away. Somehow he knew something was wrong with my dad and he knew my mom was going to need comfort. Dogs are truly remarkable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts