Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've got an around nine month old Boston Terrier puppy that LOVES to chew. He's got several bones and destroys whatever plastic or rubber chews he gets. So, recently, we've switched to more natural alternatives with a Yak cheese chew and a store bought antler. We live out in the country side, so he always finds things while he's exploring, and yesterday, much to his pleasure, he found an old bleached out deer hip bone! At least what looks like a deer hip bone - it's about the size of a fist and seems to be some sort of joint.

He went ballistic when he rediscovered it today, spun in circles about three times with it in his mouth, and brought it inside to chew. SO, long story short, is an old bleached out bone (no marrow left in it, so quite old) alright for dogs to chew? I don't think it's likely to splinter at all, but I wonder about any possible issues I don't know about. Google did me so service!

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
As long it's not prone to splinters, I think it's safe for your dog to chew on as it might injure their gums or digestive tract or you might want to clean the old bone first by sterilizing the bone with hot water. Chewing bones is also a way to clean and toughen their teeth and gums.

Regular check ups just to ensure that there are no cracks or abrasions to your dog's teeth and gums.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Older bones that have dried out for a time with no meat really aren't safe. They tend to get hard and splinter, due to being dried out. I personally wouldn't allow mine to chew on one that old, not to mention if it is a weight bearing bone it's already a danger of breaking teeth anyway, old or not. Mine have come up with old deer bones around here too, and I will chunk them.

If you are wanting to clean teeth, feed something like turkey necks. They are edible, and easy to chew and digest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I decided to take the bone away, just to be certain. I'm not sure it's a health risk, but better safe than sorry! Plus it's sorta nasty to have on the living room rug :p He can stick with antlers for all his deer-related cravings!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the great info, I sometimes give my dogs an older bone, especially a big bone. He love eating while playing with it. :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks for the great info, I sometimes give my dogs an older bone, especially a big bone. He love eating while playing with it. :)
I wouldn't give one thats older OR big. Older is a splinter risk due to being dried out, and big, as in weight bearing bones from large animals will break teeth. Stick with edible, digestable meaty bones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts