Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NOT given any to my dog yet. Just to get that out of the way. ;)
Online, all I found is that corn syrup will give my dog diabetes and make him fat. For me, I just want to give him a little pre-made apple sauce that has corn syrup in it. Not large amounts. Not commonly. Is it still bad for him?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think like sugar in minimal amounts it's not bad, but not ideal.

Personally I always buy unsweetened applesauce for myself (rarely do I share with the dogs). It's just apples and water. I swear, it tastes EXACTLY like any sweetened applesauce out there.

Just a tip for the future, haha.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@PoppyKenna I'll keep that in mind for the next time I buy apple sauce. ;)
@naturalfeddogs I have apple sauce that has corn syrup in it. I was wondering if I could give him some.

I guess the answer is a resounding no. Glad I held off.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I let Zody, 10.8lb chi x dach, like out the apple sauce container when I'm done eating the apple sauce in it. I get the single serve packs that are sweetened and he's never had a problem with the little bit he gets. There's probably less then 1/2 teaspoon left in the container and he only gets it maybe once every couple months. Now if I were going to start making up Kongs for him using apple sauce as a binder I'd buy the unsweetened kind just for him, same as I do with his yogurt. While I'll let him clean out my yogurt containers I buy plain yogurt for him, since I'll occasionally use it in his kong and I don't want him to have all that sugar that's in the flavored kind.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
While not great, corn syrup is fine to give a dog. Artificial sweeteners, like xylitol, are dangerous. We use corn syrup all the time for diabetic animals who's sugars have gone too low. Just don't give in excess and try to choose something unsweetened instead.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No one should be eating corn syrup.
I have to agree with Gnostic Dog. Corn syrup is terrible for humans, let alone alone our companions. Good for you though for asking before you gave it!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts