Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month old Pitsky, is he old enough to chew on hard bones? Can they fracture his teeth? Are there certain bones I shouldn’t give him? Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Any weight bearing, marrow filled bones from large animals like cows are a no no for both puppies and adult dogs as well. those can break teeth. But, edible bones, in RAW form only, like chicken bones, turkey necks, and lamb ribs are just fine. In fact, really nutritious.

As far as chewing goes, give something like bully sticks, or chews from raw feeding Miami. They are the only rawhides I allow mine to chew.http://rawfeedingmiami.com
They have natural, unprocessed, un colored and glue free rawhides in several sizes that are safe and digestable. DO NOT give any commercial, store bought rawhides. Those are washed and cleaned with bleach and other chemicals, they have artificial coloring added, glue and not digestible. They pose a huge risk for choking and blockages.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Anything that is too hard for you to make an indent in with your thumb nail is too hard for your dog to chew on and has the potential to fracture a tooth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As others have said, yes, the puppy could break a tooth. It is fairly rare because most dogs are cognizant of not biting so hard they break their own teeth, but it happens.

I would suggest having an assortment of textures and hardnesses available to the puppy. They like to try out different materials.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It is fairly rare because most dogs are cognizant of not biting so hard they break their own teeth, but it happens.
Would you consider 1-2 dogs per week, at a single 2 Dr vet practice, with slab or crown fractures from chewing on hard objects rare? That's about what we see where I work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dogs break teeth all the time, for sure. I've been raising and training dogs for about 40 years and I have NEVER seen it from just chewing a toy/bone/stick. And, I've never heard from other breeders/trainers that they've had it happen to them. Maybe I just run in circles of breeds that aren't inclined to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts