Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We have a 12 years old white lab mix. He has lost about 50% of his hearing. Is there anything that can be done to help him with that?

Thxs

Pat

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
As long as you have him checked out at the Vet that he has no ear infection, it is part of dogs ageing, the same as their eyes start to get a sort of glassy look to them over time as their eyesight begins to fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you have him checked out at the Vet that he has no ear infection, it is part of dogs ageing, the same as their eyes start to get a sort of glassy look to them over time as their eyesight begins to fail.
I will have his ears checked at the vet, he goes often for routine visits.

Thanks

Pat

·
Registered
42 Posts
If there is nothing to be done medically start training with him now. If youre letting him off lead make sure you do so in safe enclosed areas only.

Try starting sign language with him so that he gets used to looking at you and getting a sign. My BC picked it up in a day just simple sit. wait. left, right , find it etc.

Dont view this as a handicap to be pitied but as a new training challenge to be enjoyed and to strengthen the bond between you..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My oldest dog, a Shih Tzu x Maltese, is 15 years old this year. He has been deaf for a while and knows to follow my hand directions but it is getting harder all the time as his sight is now getting worse also. He is happy, still jumps up on the bed at night although I did get a low stool for him to jump up on first so it is not as high for him and he never misses a meal.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree that if there isn't anything that can be done to stop his hearing loss then start using hand signals along with your voice when you talk to him. That way as his hearing gets worse he'll be familiar with what you're saying and he won't feel so lost. Increase your facial expressions to show that you're happy with him. Also use vibrations in the floor to get his attention. Right now most everything you do can be heard so if you work on adding in other means of communication then it'll really help him a lot if his hearing worsens.

You should look online for tips for communicating with a deaf dog...or even a person that is deaf. It will give you some ideas on how to help him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts