Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is going on 7 months old and I adopted her from the Humane Society in San Antonio, and I cant figure out what breed she is. I know that she is mixed but that all I know. I think she is a schnauzer and jack russell terrier mix, but that is just a guess. Can anyone help me out.
This is a link to a picture of her:

Login | Facebook

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Eepps-I can't get on FB at work-I'll have to look later :)

·
Banned
112 Posts
Okay don't laugh, but since I sort of do this for a living.....

terrior - shepard mix. Judging by the size as a 7 mo old pup, this guy is not done growing. the colors thrown look like a black and tan breed like a doberman or a shephard and the features dominant in the face and legs look characteristic of a smaller terrier. possibly a 35 to 40 pound dog when full grown. which for the mix I'm guessing should be at between 12 an 15 months before full maturity and after adolescence. ????

Then again I may be wrong. but its is fun guessing.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Okay don't laugh, but since I sort of do this for a living.....

terrior - shepard mix. Judging by the size as a 7 mo old pup, this guy is not done growing. the colors thrown look like a black and tan breed like a doberman or a shephard and the features dominant in the face and legs look characteristic of a smaller terrier. possibly a 35 to 40 pound dog when full grown. which for the mix I'm guessing should be at between 12 an 15 months before full maturity and after adolescence. ????

Then again I may be wrong. but its is fun guessing.
oooh your very right...I must have missed that this is a pup not an adult!

I agree, going to get decent size...how big is she now?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she weighs around 25 or so already, I thought that she could have some shepherd in her too, thanks for all of your replies i really appreciate it, if you can think of any more just let me know. So she should be full grown at about a year old, am i correct on that.

·
Banned
112 Posts
she weighs around 25 or so already, I thought that she could have some shepherd in her too, thanks for all of your replies i really appreciate it, if you can think of any more just let me know. So she should be full grown at about a year old, am i correct on that.
The final size and length of time to mature....Depends on what traits are dominant. the smaller terrier side or the larger shepherd side.

The smaller dogs tend to mature faster and can be considered fully mature between 8 and 12 months depending on how small the breed. Larger breeds tend to mature slowly and can take between 10 to 15 months until fully mature, again depending on how large a breed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one last question, I was looking at pictures of german shepherd terrier mixes, and i think my dog is that, just based on the color combinations and especially how pointy her ears are. And she has a really deep bark for being a small dog at this point.

·
Banned
112 Posts
I have one last question, I was looking at pictures of german shepherd terrier mixes, and i think my dog is that, just based on the color combinations and especially how pointy her ears are. And she has a really deep bark for being a small dog at this point.
Where's the question???? LOL

She does fit the look. Maybe a DNA test, if you really want to be sure. But, if she were mine I'd just call it a Shepherd-Terrier. ;-D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont mean to ''steal'' the thread, but CHK might have an answer for me lol. I have a Pitradork (crazy lab/pit mix) and he just turned 10months old. When will he stop growing? Last time I weighed him he weighed about 50lbs, but that was when he was...8-9 months.

·
Banned
112 Posts
What type of Pit?

American AKC Standard Pitbull Terrior. About 60 to 75 lbs

American ABDA Standard Pitbull Terrior About 80 to 120 lbs

or

Staffordshire English Terrier about 45 to 65 lbs

All these terriors tend to reach full maturity between 12 and 15 months

The labs throw around pretty different too.

there are many variants. But, the three main ones are the American show labs which can be anywhere from 65 to 80 lbs And mature between 12 and 15 Months

The Field type labs that can be between 45 to 65 lbs And mature between 10 and 15 months

and the English style labs which can be between 75 to 100 or more lbs. and can reach maturity between 14 and 18 months.

At ten Months old the dog should have a pretty decent amount of the height it will attain already and will begin to fill in. So if its already 50lbs it could pack on another 25 to 30 lbs before full maturity and through its adolescent months.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
What type of Pit?

American AKC Standard Pitbull Terrior. About 60 to 75 lbs

American ABDA Standard Pitbull Terrior About 80 to 120 lbs

or

Staffordshire English Terrier about 45 to 65 lbs

I don't know where you are getting your info...but the AKC does not recognize a "standard pit bull (two words) terrier"

they recognize a American Staffie .

Also the ABDA pit bulls are not that big.

I own a dog from those bloodlines. They are in the 40-60lb range...an 80-120 dog would be a mastiff mix. In fact I personally would be sceptical of any "pit" over 60lbs being pure.

there is also no such thing as a staffie ENGLISH terrier...you are thinking of a staffie bull terrier. And they are smallish dogs around 40lbs tops.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
AKC does not recognize the american pit bull terrier, they only recognize the staffy bloodlines (which as far as I have read and researched is not that different), oh but the staffy's are typically more stout and thick. The very short muscular dogs are staffies

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
heres a site I love to look at..it says the american pit has been seen at 110 but is rare, IMO thats an overweight or bad bred dog.

American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls

Yours is most likely american pit bull terrier and dogs in general keep growing until 2 years, the largest sprouting being up to 1 yr and then a few pounds and inches from 1-2 yrs.

·
Banned
112 Posts
I don't know where you are getting your info...but the AKC does not recognize a "standard pit bull (two words) terrier"

they recognize a American Staffie .

Also the ABDA pit bulls are not that big.

I own a dog from those bloodlines. They are in the 40-60lb range...an 80-120 dog would be a mastiff mix. In fact I personally would be sceptical of any "pit" over 60lbs being pure.

there is also no such thing as a staffie ENGLISH terrier...you are thinking of a staffie bull terrier. And they are smallish dogs around 40lbs tops.
I know, I just refer to them that way because there are actually about 15 variants of the Pit Bull that range in size from 35 to 120 lbs. The one the AKC acknowledges is on the smallish side, I sometimes forget which is which. forgive me there. And the ABDA will acknowledge different size categories, or they did. My sister was complaining about something with the standards changing and perhaps registering with Canadian Kennel Clubs, but thats the way it is in the dog world. Nothing is ever set in stone. If I recall correctly the standards are being revised for several breeds for 2010.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
No worries. There is just so much wierd info about pit bulls that I like info to be spot on. Most "real" pit bulls are not large dogs.

15 variants? What do you mean by this? :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Im not sure what he is. Whatever the type, most likely bred from a back yard breeder. I dont think I saw any dogs over in that area that were properly taken care of.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
No worries. There is just so much wierd info about pit bulls that I like info to be spot on. Most "real" pit bulls are not large dogs.

15 variants? What do you mean by this? :)
I think these are the bloodlines...you see stupid BYB's post "red nose, blue, gotti, etc etc."

Some of these bloodlines have a lot of bulldog in them for the stout body. Its quite sad the way these animals have been bred. I love mine tho, he is the cutest, sweetest, most precious little booger.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.