Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im new here, I joined to see if I could find some answers as to what breed this guy is! Weve had him for several years and Ive always wondered. Ill tell you a little about his characteristics. We rescued him from a lady that had him chained up and was going to take him to the pound. Im so glad we did, hes been my best pal since I was in high school. He's so smart and the best dog weve ever owned. Hes so sweet too. He never bites or tears thing up. He stays outside 90 percent of the time but ill bring him in sometimes as he just lays around, Hes never been trained to my knowledge. He never tears up anything in the house, never uses the bathroom in the house, actually I never see him or any traces that he does use the bathroom around the house. I guess hes just polite and uses it in the woods or something. He only barks at cars he doesnt know pulling in the drive way. If that person comes over often he will stop barking and know that they come often. Hes afraid of water, like the water hose, maybe he has a bad experience with water idk. If me and my friends go down to the basement and hang out he knows thats where we go and he barks at the door to be let in and he just chills. He knows not to lay on the rug, he knows no and sit and lay down. Ive never seen a smarter dog. He loves to be pet on. Hes so sweet.

But anyway, Ive heard people say he looks like an Australian Shepard and some people say hes a border collie. I know both can look similar but can anyone here tell me which he is? or maybe hes a mix? Idk how you tell lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
He is a cutie. Do you have any pictures of him standing from the side? How big is he? He does look like a border collie, I don't think there is any way you can know for sure what he is mixed with. There are DNA test, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is a cutie. Do you have any pictures of him standing from the side? How big is he? He does look like a border collie, I don't think there is any way you can know for sure what he is mixed with. There are DNA test, but I'm not sure how accurate they are.
Yea! here ya go! hes not very big, pretty short

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Border collie for sure.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
917 Posts
Remember that Aussies can have tails too, a mix of the two maybe? I'm not real familiar with either breed, but I know there a couple of member here with Aussies and BCs.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
You are right, they are most likely to be docked in the US though, it's changing slowly.

50 to 60 pounds would be a very large BC, lends weight to being an Aussie.

Short of a genetic test there's no way to be sure. Even then I think someone mentioned getting a chihuahua result for their full BC.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I have an Aussie and a BC, and it's very difficult to tell from pictures. They can look pretty similar, especially if you have a full-tailed Aussie. Either way, he looks fairly overweight, which could be distorting the breeds we see.
He could be a BC, an Aussie, a mix of the two or something else entirely. When you play with him, do you notice any crouching or staring hard at objects?

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
951 Posts
There was at one time in this country a wide mix of working collie types. Some were collected up and turned into formalized breeds (English Shepherd, Australian Shepherd) others just stayed local rural shepherd types. Judging by the laid back temperament, I'd say you have an 'old time farm shepherd type' either by direct decent from various herding dogs brought over in the pioneer days....or through a more recent eclectic mix of local mutts plus English Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, and/or Border Collie.

·
Registered
101 Posts
With that weight I wanna say English shepherd just cause I've never seen a black and white aussie.. ((although i would think they exist?))

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
xmitters- black and white is actually a pretty common color in aussies, though usually its in the form of black tri (black and white with tan markings), rather then black bi (just black and white).

Personally I see more aussie then bc. I'm also leaning more towards a mix (it could just be the angle of the pictures too), since the head and body seem a bit more stockier. and the way the fur looks doesn't quite say aussie to me, but I think theres deffinitly some aussie or bc in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts