Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my dog Koda, 2 1/2 year old male. I have been really curious on what breed he is. I adopted him from the shelter but they weren't positive on his breed. He has a tail similar to a basenji and loves to chase small animals. He is pretty smart and learns tricks fairly quickly, however he acts a bit like a shiba inu. He weighs about 27~lbs. He is also 18 inchs tall when he is standing on four paws. I am guessing some basenji, kelpie or carolina dog in him? Any guesses? Thanks! :)

*Warning Semi-Large Images*
1 2 3 4

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Where is he from? Carolina Dogs are VERY rare so I doubt it. My guess is something predominantly like Rat Terrier, Feist, or Chihuahua. Does his tail curl? He doesn't look much like a Shiba to me at all. His color is very interesting too. There aren't many breeds that have that sort of steel blue color, so maybe a little Dobie as well?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Apart from being not huge and having upright ears this pup doesn't look a heck of a lot like either a Rattie or a Feist to me. The head and body structure are both a ways off from the usual utilitarian look of that breed/that type. Could still get his appearance with the right admixture, I suppose, but not my go-to guess.

He does look quite a bit like some dogs labelled Chihuahua/Corgi and Miniature Pinscher/Corgi mixes that I'm seeing, and both Chihuahuas and Min Pins can carry dilute. I can't tell if he's even slightly long-backed however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! I could see Koda being a minature pinscher/corgi mix. Here's a picture of him from the side.
here.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well, with a tail that curly, I admit he does also remind me of a Shiba/ACD mix I knew as well. It definitely makes him look quite spitz-y... but Shibas aren't usually let to run around and make accident babies, and a lot of smaller breeds whose tails were traditionally docked can actually have quite closely curling natural tails - including some JRTs and Ratties, and Min Pins. Chihuahuas can have a close curl, too.

You might observe his behavior and see where that gets you guess-wise, as I think he's probably got more than just two breeds in his background. He's definitely distinguished looking.

Reactions: traciek88

·
Registered
101 Posts
The first thing that screamed out to me when I saw the pictures was Kelpie, mostly because I know someone with a fawn/tan kelpie that looks exactly like Koda, except much bigger of course. So I thought maybe miniature kelpie, but I don't even know if that exists.
He does resemble the Basenji a lot, given the curly tail and just the overall composition, except it's not seen that Basenjis come in that color. Does he have the distinct sound of the basenji?
Otherwise my guess would be Basenji x kelpie cross

Nonetheless he's gorgeous

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw Chihuahua. I've seen quite a few Chis with a tail curled in a similar way. He's most likely mixed with more than 2 breeds. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some JRT and/or Rat Terrier in his background, either. Maybe even some Corgi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.