Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents rehomed this dog when I was a child I grew up with him and he was my best friend I was heartbroken when he passed away. I'm now moving out and have never not had a dog around I would ideally like to find another like my childhood friend but I do not know what breed he was, we were told he was an Irish bala terrier but I cannot find anything about them any help would be really appreciated, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
People come on this board ALL the time asking this same question. My first response will be that the breed matters much less than the dog itself. What qualities did the dog have that you loved? Loyal? Playful? Cuddly? Good guard dog? Write all those qualities down and take them to your local shelter or rescue and tell them you want a dog like that.

Just because you know a dog's breed doesn't mean another like that will be like them. I had two Dachshunds from the same breeder AND same father, and they were like night and day. I also have to add I've never heard of such a breed and it might be an affectionate name for a mutt. In general I'd say the dog looks like a very mixed mutt (although the picture is small).

All in all look for a dog that's like this dog in personality, not looks. You will be much more satisfied with the dogs you find that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Four dogs came to mind when I saw this picture:

1. Germain Pinscher
2. Ibizan Hound
3. Manchester Terrier
4. Pharaoh Hound

Hope that helped!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lol! @traciek88 and I posted at the exact same time! What a coincidence!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would have to strongly agree with Traciek88- I fell into the same trap and got a Boston Terrier because I loved my first one. She is pretty unlike my first Boston aside from looking somewhat similar, farting a lot, and liking to cuddle (which are both very strong Boston breed traits, and there's not a huge amount of physical variation in the breed either). She has a completely different energy level (the first one would sleep all day given the chance, this one is off the wall energetic), doesn't bark where the other one was a great watchdog, is much more trainable, and is obsessed with strangers and other dogs where my first was standoffish. I've actually ended up liking this Boston more than my first, but if I'd had this dog first and gotten the second Boston because I liked the breed I think I would be disappointed.

I would also agree that dog looks like a mutt. I'm fairly good with dog breeds (having a special liking for researching rare breeds) and I've never heard of that breed at all.

In terms of breeds that remind me of him in looks I'd guess Staffordshire Terrier, maybe Bull Terrier, Ibeazan Hound (in coloring and ear shape), maybe Miniature or German Pinscher. All these breeds are very different, however, and some fit better into the average household than others (for examaple, a Staffy is a great all around dog but an Ibeazan Hound isn't for everyone). I can almost guarantee you he had no Ibeazan Hound in him, they're a rather rare/specialized breed to be showing up in a random mix. Staffy and Bull Terrier are pretty likely, I think.

I would agree with making a list of all the things you loved most about him and then going to a shelter and looking for a dog that fits those traits.

Also, you say you're just moving out- that makes me think you're fairly young and possibly not done with school yet. As someone who is 20, still going through school. and has their own dogm I would caution you to think very carefully about what dog you bring home. Getting a problem dog in your 20's is a lot more of a bummer than when you're more settled. Think about things like how hard it will be to find housing with that size and breed mix, don't go for a dog or breed that will have trouble with long hours alone because at this point in your life you just don't know if you will need to leave them for a long time, etc. It can be great to have a dog at this age but it takes a certain level of maturity, dedication and smarts to get the right dog for your situation because it's a lot harder to deal with issues in school (if you are still in school this may not even apply to you) than it is during your working life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.